About to start trial of Methimazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been struggling with potential thyroid symptoms for a number of years now. Every year they seem to be getting worse, especially the heat intolerance. I went from sweating on armpits and feet, then as the years have passed pretty much everywhere on my body in the heat (Generalized Hyperhidrosis). 

Recently had my thyroid tested for the 3rd time (results below) my TSH is slowing dropping to the lower end of the normal range. I've also recently had my adrenal glands tested everything came back as negative/normal. 

My doctor wants to trial me on a small dose of methimazole, 5MG. Im at my wits end. A part of me is glad that he wants to trial based upon my symptoms and not just the numbers but I also worry about the long term effects of taking this drug if I dont have hyperthyroid...?

TSH                                               0.610 uIU/mL          (0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL)

Free T4                                         1.68 ng/dL               ( 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL)

T3, Free                                         3.3 pg/mL                 (2.0 - 4.4 pg/mL)

Thyroid Peroxidase Ab                  19 IU/mL                 (0 - 34 IU/mL)

TSI                                                     67 %                    (0 - 139 %)

Vit D, 25-Hydroxy                            31.2 ng/mL            (30.0 - 100.0 ng/mL)

Vitamin B-12                                        531 pg/mL           (211 - 946 pg/mL)

My symptoms:

- Heat intolerance

- Heavy sweating 

- Anxiety

- Depression

- Heavy achy joints

- Always tired, even after 7-8 sleep as night

- Dry, itchy, flaky scalp

- Premature grey hair

- Hot flashes

- Brain fogg, lack of concentration  

Thanks. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Also read this article as I was confused on the range for TSI. My endo did not describe anything in detail to me. My GP on the other hand has been a saint!!

TSI, which stands for thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin, is the antibody responsible for hyperthyroidism in Graves’ disease. TSI are also known as stimulating TSH receptor antibodies or stimulating thyrotropin receptor antibodies because of their ability to stimulate the TSH receptor on thyroid cells. Acting in place of TSH, these antibodies stimulate thyroid cells to produce excess thyroid hormone. TSI also contribute to the related eye disease, Graves’ ophthalmopathy. TSI is used to diagnose Graves’ disease, to monitor response to anti-thyroid drugs and to helping predicting remission. While the normal range is <130% activity, individuals who are normal do not produce TSI and have levels <2% activity. Individuals with levels between 2 and 125 %, which indicates thyroid autoimmunity, do not generally develop symptoms of hyperthyroidism until levels rise. Therefore, levels much lower than 125% are necessary to predict complete remission. Levels, which are close to 100% activity generally rise when patients stop taking anti-thyroid drugs. Ideally, levels would fall to at least 20% before anti-thyroid drugs are safely withdrawn. The reference range is <130% activity or an index of <1.3 for tests that measure the increased activity caused by adding patient serum to a test solution of thyroid cells.

• Posted

Hi Ryan, According to your test result, there is not even a sign of "subclinical hyperthyroidism". I wonder why your doctor wants to try anti-thyroid med at this point?  According to your symptoms listed, two major ones for hyperthyroidism are missing: high heart pulse (and palpitation) and weight loss (or weight gain). Maybe those symptoms come from other health problem? What are the previous test results compared to the latest one? Anyway, hope you find the cause of your symptoms and take right treatment.

• Posted

1st Round of tests:

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum      3.4          (2.0-4.4)

Thyroglobulin Antibody              <1.0        (0.0-0.9)

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO)           16         (0-34)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy                 34.8      (30.0-100.0)

TSH                                              1.280    (0.450-4.500)

T4,Free(Direct)                             1.58       (0.82-1.77)

Testoterone, Serum                     565        (348-1197)

Folate (Folic Acid), Serum             7.5          (>3.0)

2nd Round:

TSH                                                    0.9         (.450-4.500 UIU/ML)

T4                                                      8.2          (4.5 – 12 UG/DL)

T3 Uptake                                          28           (24-39 & [wink]

FREE THYROXINE INDEX                2.3           (1.2 – 4.9

T3                                                      111          (71-180 NG/DL)

3rd Round:

TSH                                                0.610 uIU/mL          (0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL)

Free T4                                           1.68 ng/dL               ( 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL)

T3, Free                                         3.3 pg/mL                 (2.0 - 4.4 pg/mL)

Thyroid Peroxidase Ab                    19 IU/mL                 (0 - 34 IU/mL)

TSI                                                       67 %                    (0 - 139 %)

Vit D, 25-Hydroxy                              31.2 ng/mL            (30.0 - 100.0 ng/mL)

Vitamin B-12                                        531 pg/mL           (211 - 946 pg/mL)

• Posted

Other thoughts: 1. taking anti-thyroid med alone can't lower or control the TSI level. 2. Graves disease is only one of several types of Hyperthyroidism, which is caused by the autoimmune disorder. There are other types of hyperT, which are not caused by the autoimmune disorder.

• Posted

With all the symptoms you listed it sure sounds like hyperthyroidism. I was diagnosed with Graves/Hyperthyroidism in late 2014. I was immediately put on methimazole. The meds helped with the trimmers, shin cramps, depression and brain fog but it did not help with the heat intolerance. I have been off my meds for about 6 months and I still sweat like crazy. While everyone in my home is freezing because the AC is on full blast I'm soak and wet from sweat. I'm also still very tired everyday but I push myself to get up and try to somewhat live a normal life. I've had no negative side effect from taking the meds for 2 1/2 years but everyone body reacts to meds differently.. The medication may help with some symptoms unfortunately I don't believe it will cure every ailment your feeling. sad

• Posted

hi michelle:  are you now completely off the methimazole?  doc just put me on 30 mg per day.  what dosage did you start at and it sounds like you got good results....

except for being tired.   Have you had any bad side effects from the methimazole?  

• Posted

koa61308 all my results are as followed:

1st Round of tests:

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum      3.4          (2.0-4.4)

Thyroglobulin Antibody              <1.0        (0.0-0.9)

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO)           16         (0-34)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy                 34.8      (30.0-100.0)

TSH                                              1.280    (0.450-4.500)

T4,Free(Direct)                             1.58       (0.82-1.77)

Testoterone, Serum                     565        (348-1197)

Folate (Folic Acid), Serum             7.5          (>3.0)

2nd Round:

TSH                                                    0.9         (.450-4.500 UIU/ML)

T4                                                      8.2          (4.5 – 12 UG/DL)

T3 Uptake                                          28           (24-39 & [wink]

FREE THYROXINE INDEX                2.3           (1.2 – 4.9

T3                                                      111          (71-180 NG/DL)

3rd Round:

TSH                                                0.610 uIU/mL          (0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL)

Free T4                                           1.68 ng/dL               ( 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL)

Thyroid Peroxidase Ab                    19 IU/mL                 (0 - 34 IU/mL)

TSI                                                       67 %                    (0 - 139 %)

Vit D, 25-Hydroxy                              31.2 ng/mL            (30.0 - 100.0 ng/mL)

• Posted

hi ryan.

i'm just starting on methimazole and would like to keep in touch. my doc started me at 30 mg per day. i'm always tired, too... and don't know if it's the medicine? or that my TSH is still low [ it's coming up]. please be in touch and best wishes to you and us both.  this stuff is f'g awful.  

What I"m really interested in:   can anbody share their side effex history from the methimazole? and any good results   you've had with compounding.  My endo may be too conservative,  but I hope doc will  work with me. thanks all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.