About to undergo MUA

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi about to have an MUA some 7 months after TKR as sadly I cannot fully straighten my leg and walking is very difficult. As soon as I put weight on my operated leg I get tremendous pain throughout my knee. in fact I have been told that I walk from my hip, rather than my iknee.  However I am able to bend my knee when sitting, but not when I walk.  What should I expect after this MUA - will I need one to one  physio every day to begin with.  I have been exercising regularly, go to Aqua gym, try to use an exercise bike regularly, although this is sometimes quite difficult for me.  It is so difficult to get answers out of the NHS Consultant.  He seems to think that he might use a knee brace on me - has anyone else had this fitted after a MUA and did it help. Any replies would be appreciated.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Tim - isn't a manipulation done before 12 weeks after TKR? 7 months post tkr you probably have developed adhesions by now and the manipulation will not work. Unless your surgeon is going to do a knee revision. Let me know because I am having a similar problem. I cannot bend my knee to 120. I have 50 therapy sessions and I go to the gym to use the bike and stretch and bend my knee. My surgery is goong on 7 months. I had it done on Oct 4th. 2016. Thanks - J 21370.

• Posted

Hi i am in the same boat i can walk quite well and i can straighten my leg but i have struggled to get a good bend i keep persevering with exercise i m thinking about buying a bike ive heard this is good for the bend

good luck to you both.

• Posted

Hi Johnny - how long ago did you have your surgery? Has it been more than 6 months? J21370
    • Posted

That is a pretty long time for a Manipulation. Do you live in the states?
    • Posted

No I'm not having a manipulation i was just mentioning the bend i agree with you i think its to long to have it done when your month's down the line.

• Posted

I had my sugery 26th Sept 2016- I have had problems with my knee ever since.  I have had endless physio sessions, exercise regularly, use the aqua gym, and although I ca bend my knee I cannot straighten it.  Have been back to Consultant 3/4 times trying to persuade him to do something, always the same answer - keep exercising, until last visit, which I asked for again, when he said he would manipulate it - his suggestion not mine.  What do I do - there seems to be nothing else on offer - At present I can barely walk or 10 minutes at a time, I am in a worse state than before the op.  If that is all he is offering me I cannot see any other way forward  By the way I am an NHS patient in the UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.