Abrupt cessation of stopping Inderal LA 80mg. Withdrawals

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had to suddenly stop Inderal LA (propranolol) as they had stopped being made by AstraZeneca.

My Gp tried me on 3 others but they made me feel horrible.

Two weeks ago my Gp said to bite the bullet and just stop altogether.

Since then I've experienced horrible withdrawals.

My head feels like I'm drunk

I am getting funny feelings in my arms like inside shakes

When I sit or lay down my arms tingle then feel like creepy crawlies on them. Then I lose the sensation. They go numbish

My legs go all tingly then they feel heavy and numbish.

If I get up from sitting down or just walk a little around the house, I sit down and my heart is banging hard, not fast, just hard.

Can anyone relate to this after abruptly stopping a beta blocker.

I was originally put on them for aura migraines.

Oh and I have like butterflies in my tummy

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rosemary-

Your experiences sound the most similar to any I've read!! I got on propranolol for Aura migraines as well. They stopped & my neck pain & menstrual headaches stopped too! It felt like a true miracle. Downside- after 6 mths I realized I went up 2 dress sizes- yikes!

But the real kicker was when I had the flu...I threw up for 2 days- and obviously didn't take any medicine. I started shaking... almost convulsing. My heart rate was irregular. ..very scarey! ! I quickly linked it to inadvertently going off these meds. I was VERY mad since Doc never said any thing about coming off. I'm surprised yours told you to "bite the bullet"! These doctors should tell you HOW to ween off meds...I really felt like a junkie sad

So, I did it myself. It took 6 mths after my "episode" to slowly go off and remove it from my system. (From 120mg to 80 to 60 to 40 to 20 to 10 to 5mg)

Every once in a while I take 10mg if I feel the headache/strange vision starting to build. I seem to have no ill effects of a one time small dose.

That's my story! Perhaps Find another similar med to replace & slowly reduce. I am not a fan of doctors right now....Keep me posted!

Natalie

• Posted

Hi Natalie

Thanks for your reply.

The dr did try me on three other beta blockers but I felt totally drained. Lost motivation and could hardly drag myself out of bed. Thought I had a virus!!! Then in the middle of the night I'd be woken up by banging heart.

My dr explained That the new beta blocker was not as superior as inderal la and coatings were different therefore I was getting hit with bigger dose of the new beta blocker in the day then it was running out through the night....hence the banging heart.

I ended up at out of hours Dr's twice while trying the replacement beta blockers.

So hence Gp saying to just stop.

Did your head feel tiddly when you'd not taken the meds???

And did you get any of the other symptoms I've described

Best wishes

• Posted

Have you tried the sustained release propranolol I used to take half inderal until they stopped dispensing them I now take one 80 mg sustained release tablet with no problems.
    • Posted

That's what I said I was on. Half Inderal LA 80mgs.

They tried me on beta-prograne 80mg SR.(propranolol) Tried me on immediate release propranolol. Bisoprolol 5mg then 1.25mgs but I felt very poorly on the.

On the beta-prograne I felt extreme fatigue. Loss of motivation and waking in the night with thumping heart.

Dr explained itches inferior to inderal la and the coatings weren't good and therefore I was getting hit with stronger doses during the day and running out at night..

Hence the banging heart.

I wish I was as lucky as you seem to be with the transferring over.

My life us a mess right now

Thank you for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.