Abruptly stopping Olanzapine 20mg - 30mg after 5 weeks use?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My girl friend had an emotional breakdown and after a few days of her being so emotional she couldn't function and developed "psychosis" like symptoms, so took her to an emergency department and she was put in the psych ward involuntary.

While she was there she was given Olanzapine with doses up to 30mg within 2 weeks of starting (she's never had mental health issues before)

she's finally out after 5 weeks and she is currently on 20mg just wondering if she can stop suddenly without any long term effects?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

WHY IN THE WORLD WAS THIS GIRL ON OLANZAPINE AT ALL???? That med is for serious mental health problems!!( IE) Schizophrenia ! I was on That Medication for 20 years at a does of 20mg. IT TOOK ME MONTHS To get over it! I do not think I will ever be the same? I have noticed on this site, That people who just have depression or anxiety, THAT IS CRAZY! I Was given it because of a head injury and Had one severe psychotic Episode Landing me in an acute psychiatric hospital I have been told that I might of only had one psychotic break after that injury! How ever I just got out of another Psychiatric Hospital for still another stay from a psychotic episode! At this point I am not sure what to do? But have NO intentions of going back On Olanzapine! I got this horrible rash during detox! That is still gone unexplained! It has finally all gone away! I was sick all the time for months! And could not even leave the house! Detox was Hell! I would say if there is anyway you could get off it! DO IT! There has to be another way! All my best God Loves you ! Let me know what you think ? Nancy

• Posted

I don't know why she was put on it ask the "professionals" at the alfred hospital in melb. they won't tell us anything apart from the usual speel.

She had drugs in her system so they just assumed it was drug psychosis, she also wasn't speaking because she was so upset so again they made the assumption and didn't follow any of the legislation when they involuntary treated her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.