Abruptly stopping Olanzapine 20mg - 30mg after 5 weeks use?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My girl friend had an emotional breakdown and after a few days of her being so emotional she couldn't function and developed "psychosis" like symptoms, so took her to an emergency department and she was put in the psych ward involuntary.

While she was there she was given Olanzapine with doses up to 30mg within 2 weeks of starting (she's never had mental health issues before)

she's finally out after 5 weeks and she is currently on 20mg just wondering if she can stop suddenly without any long term effects?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No would not advise stopping this drug abruptly. All anti psychotics have dangerous side affects. They cause the symptoms that they are trying to treat. The physical and mental pain she will suffer is serious. She'll gain weight and sleep an horrendous amount of time whilst on it and should she stop abruptly, it may cause vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, pain in limbs, psychotic symptoms, cognitive decline, memory problems, possibly insomnia and other stuff that is not always reversible. Please keep up your support and get some yourself, you have a road to recovery a head of you, keep her safe and away from so called professionals whose only choice of treatment is debilitating drugs. If you try to discuss this with them they may try a cocktail of different anti psychotics instead on hearing your concerns. Look up Will Hall, Peter Breggin, Joanna Moncrieff, she can overcome and will with the correct help. Take it your in UK? Since big pharmacology has taken over the UK market we are all at the mercy of mental health professionals who probably have shares in the drugs they are pushing. You must remain calm under all circumstances or they have the power to section you too. Please don't stop it suddenly the best thing to do would be to very gradually lower the dose, taper down very slowly over months. There doesn't seem to be much research on how to get off these drugs but don't think they are intended for short term use. People end up on these drugs for decades which can cause cardiovascular disease, diabetes and shorten life span. Please don't be too sad about it there are many people in this situation, even children. We need to unite and fight this legal diabolical state of affairs.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hey thanks for your reply, I'm from Australia.

I will look up those guys, found a excerpt from a British publication with a psychologist named Rufus Guy who basically experienced the same thing my gf has.

this whole situation makes my blood boil and I can't believe what they put both of us through if i knew what i know now it would have been a totally different story.

the only sad part of the story is that her parents don't care and even stopped messaging me about 3 weeks into it.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Stay strong, yes totally get the if I knew then what I know now. Don't worry about Mum & Dad, it is very hard for parents to see their son or daughter in this situation, especially when there is nothing they can do but listen to professionals that have no sufficient evidence for their evidence based treatment. Plus if your girlfriend is an adult they have no parental rights but can't say that parents of children have any more rights with this kind of treatment anyway. Blood boil is putting it mildly, very proud of you for remaining involved and calm. The best thing to do is learn how to agree with doctors even if you disagree, I really hope the situation improves for you both. Let relatives know the positives if any and make sure everyone knows that you can support your girlfriend through this difficult time. Anytime you have difficulty coping yourself come on this site and hopefully you'll get responses that are compassionate, understanding and can help you overcome this. Shall keep you and your love in my thoughts and prayer.

Report Reply
  • Posted

WHY IN THE WORLD WAS THIS GIRL ON OLANZAPINE AT ALL???? That med is for serious mental health problems!!( IE) Schizophrenia ! I was on That Medication for 20 years at a does of 20mg. IT TOOK ME MONTHS To get over it! I do not think I will ever be the same? I have noticed on this site, That people who just have depression or anxiety, THAT IS CRAZY! I Was given it because of a head injury and Had one severe psychotic Episode Landing me in an acute psychiatric hospital I have been told that I might of only had one psychotic break after that injury! How ever I just got out of another Psychiatric Hospital for still another stay from a psychotic episode! At this point I am not sure what to do? But have NO intentions of going back On Olanzapine! I got this horrible rash during detox! That is still gone unexplained! It has finally all gone away! I was sick all the time for months! And could not even leave the house! Detox was Hell! I would say if there is anyway you could get off it! DO IT! There has to be another way! All my best God Loves you ! Let me know what you think ? Nancy

Report Reply
    • Posted

I don't know why she was put on it ask the "professionals" at the alfred hospital in melb. they won't tell us anything apart from the usual speel.

She had drugs in her system so they just assumed it was drug psychosis, she also wasn't speaking because she was so upset so again they made the assumption and didn't follow any of the legislation when they involuntary treated her.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up