Skip to content

Olanzapine

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Success Story: Stopped Olanzapine (Zyprexa) Cold Turkey

First off thank you for this wonderful forum.  I looked long and hard for success stories of people who came off Zyprexa cold Turkey successfully and was unable to.  I took zyprexa for 2 months (started at high dose foolishly by psych doctors @ 30 mg) and then self lowered to 10 mg once...

Last reply
  • Coming off olanzapine(zyprexa)

Hey guys I have just started 2.5 mg olanzapine 2 months ago for insomnia and I am having side effects like difficulty in concentrating and weight gain. I want to taper this drug and need your advice on it since you all have a lot of experience than a doctor who just prescribes this horrible drug for...

Last reply
  • Olanzapine withdrawal ride from hell

1 year ago I had a hospital admission from being majorly depressed. As well as being put on an anti-depressant they also threw in Olanzapine which I continued to strongly question the psyche doctor over the next year as I didnt feel myself at all 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it Within 48hrs...

Last reply
  • Coming off 2.5mg of olanzapine.

Hi I plan to come off as soon as possible as i need to lose weight for surgery. I cannot get dissolvable tablets. My plan is to alternate 2.5 and 1.25 for 2 weeks then 1.25 for 2 weeks. If that goes well i will jump off then if not i plan to crush the tablets and eat the powder and alternate 1.25 and...

Last reply
  • Almost at the end of Olanzapine/Zyprexa!

I'm almost at the end of my taper off Olanzapine/Zyprexa.  I'm so happy to have made it.  I wanted to let others know that it is do-able.  The key, I feel, is going slow.   I originally was started on 10 mg of Zyprexa.  I took it down to 5 mgs within 2 weeks...

Last reply
  • Suffering from olanzapine withdrawal

I was prescribed 2.5mg of Olanzapine as a migraine cycle breaker.  I suffer from chronic migraines and my neurologist went through a number of different meds.  I was on this for one month.  She told me this wasn't a long term medication for migraines and switched me to a course of...

Last reply
  • Olanzapine/ zyprexa withdrawl , Please help....Anyone!!

i was diagnosed as " late developing bi polar" in 2008/9. Twice I have tapered down to the bare minimum of this horror drug. i must be honest here ; when I came off completely I was flying high, but in my mind at least this was because the drug held me down in severe depression. It was like...

Last reply
  • hope about olanzapim

hi there I was put on Zyprexa for almost 15 years and I developed diabetes. for the past 12 months my doctor has been tapering it from 20 milligrams down to 2.5 I did it really gradually. I stayed on a dose for a month and then reduced and then sometimes three weeks or two weeks and then reduced. I have...

Last reply
  • coming off olanzapine and epilem

hi, for me coming off olanzapine was tough. took me months to begin to feel normal again after I stopped, but at the same time didn't really have a concept of normal because I had been in it for 8 years. I had to make sure my days started early and were full to help with my sleep. exercise, till...

Last reply
  • Coming off Olanzapine

I have been on Olanzapine or over 6 years now from when I was diagnosed Borderline personality traits and all I can say is that I have endured 6 years of living hell. I have been taking 10mg every night for that time and piled on loads of weight, felt lethargic no confidence and started experiencing...

Last reply
  • switching from olazapine to abilify

Hi everyone,        Recently my pdoc decided to take me off of olanzapine and switch me to abilify without tapering the olanzapine. I take 7.5 mg of olanzapine and he wants me to stop cold turkey and take 5mg of abilify.Has anyone switched medications like this ? If so what...

Last reply
  • Zyprexa a drug not suitable for anyone, under any condition

The number one way to indentify a terrible doctor, one who is reckless and has no regard for patient wellbeing or safety whatsoever is one who prescribes their patient Zyprexa.  This is a drug being handed out to treat anything from anxiety to sleep disorder, none of which it has ever been approved...

Last reply
  • Olanzapine Withdrawal

Hi all,  After reading most of the posts on here, I decided to write my current experience while I realise some of the posts' age on here vary between nine months to three years, but I hope that someone can hear my shout and give me a hand.   I was put on Olanzapine back in June after...

Last reply
  • I quit opanxapine two months ago ..

Hi. I just joined this group. If I make any mistake please forgive me. I took olanzapine 2.5mg for two years and then the side effects were too much. I became so lazy I stopped going out altogether. I just stayed home doing not thing all the time. I also gained so much weight so fast!! I threw out all...

Last reply
  • Memory Loss

Hello, did anybody suffer from short-term memory loss while taking Olanzapine/Zyprexa? If so, does the memory loss go away after quitting this med?

Last reply
  • olanzapine for severe anxiety

Im looking for some reassurance so please no horror stories. For people out there that take thisbmedication. Is it normql to experience heightened anxiety when starting/ increasing it?

Last reply
  • Feeling like I can't breathe

I am tapered down to 1.25mg and can't seem to get off this horrible drug. Every time I try to stop I feel like I can't breathe and nausea is horrific. Anyone else have similar withdrawals?

Last reply
  • On 7.5 mg and still feeling like crap..

Still feeling like crap on 7.5mg... I honestly don’t know what to do. I don’t want to be on more medication.. Will I ever feel the same again or will I always feel empty moodless and constantly thinking 

Last reply
  • Tapering every month

Well I’m still feeling moodless and sleep deprived... My thoughts are blocked off and my head is blank or empty... I don’t know what to do tbh.. but it’s my Journey so I guess I’m on the right direction.. I’m on 10mg at the moment but tapering to 7.5 next week. I’m doing this monthly.. any help would...

Posted
  • Link to Olanzapine data sheet (for New Zealand)

Here is the link to the Medsafe datasheet fro Olanzapine. Medsafe is the NZ govt. body that controlsw ALL medicines in New Zealand. http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/o/OlanzapineDRLAtab.pdf It's written for doctors so you may have to google some of the terms. I have read right through...

Last reply
  • On a big 10mg tablet

Well my head is still blocked from taking such a high dosage.. my sleep is poor but I can still carry on like I slept.. what do I do now? Any tips. Tapering to 7.5 in 3 weeks 😁

Last reply
  • Recently started on alanzapine

Hi all. I've been on olanzapine 3 days now, it seems to have helped with intrusive thoughts I was getting. I was just wondering how long people was on these before the med settled properly and you felt normal again? Thanks. Leanne

Last reply
  • I have been on Olanzapine for 10 years

My personal experience. I have been diagnosed mentally I'll with a phsycotic disorder since 1996.Started on haldol, navane, artane then risperidone for several yrs ,now been on Olanzapine 10 yrs- started at 20 mg few years been on 10 mg several yrs and still. Very stable at this have been for several...

Last reply
  • Coming off olanzapine.

Hi I have been on 2.5 mg of olanzapine for nearly 5 months. I want off it cos of weight gain. I am on other psychiatric meds. Can i just stop or do i need to taper ?

Last reply
  • Changed diagnosis and coming off Olanzapine

I started off "sectioned" into the Mental Health Unit in a secure monitored room. The diagnosis was paranoid schizophrenia. I was there against my will. In New Zealand, they can only hold patients for a certain length of time. When that time came I was not released, so it was a court case -...

Last reply
  • Sudden (but temporary) olanzapine withdrawal

I was wondering if anyone has any experiences of suddenly stopping olanzapine?  Due to some weird blood test results I have to come off olanzapine (10mg a day) for 5 days,  starting tonight.  It's only a temporary stop and I will go straight back on it when I've had my next blood...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.