Olanzapine withdrawal ride from hell

Posted , 11 users are following.

1 year ago I had a hospital admission from being majorly depressed. As well as being put on an anti-depressant they also threw in Olanzapine which I continued to strongly question the psyche doctor over the next year as I didnt feel myself at all 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it Within 48hrs I felt a profound difference having clearer thinking but then came absolutely awful physical withdrawal symptons and following that really bad mental disturbance with terrible anxiety/shakes and now worst/frightening of all is I feel by how Im functioning that theres been some sort of damage to my brain but one thing for sure Im going to make someone accountable for whats happened to me

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi it sounds like you came off it much too quickly. Best thing is to cut down very slowly. You will still get withdrawals but they'll be easier too deal with. The main thing is to get off it it's an awful drug!

• Posted

HI Jeremy Thanks for yr response Yes I stopped taking it just like that as I didnt feel at all myself on it Little did I know what I was in for It really through me into turmoil physically and mentally At the moment Im dealing with bad shakes and insomnia Its an evil very scarey drug!
  • Posted

Hello Karogers  I was hospitalised 10 years ago and had to have 6 sessions of electric shock treatment for severe depression  I was put on 5mg of Olanzapine  during which  had urine retention for which I have to cathertize  and very bad mobility problems lose of balance  for which I believe is the side effects from Olanzapine  I saw a new doctor three weeks ago and he recommend that I withdraw from Olanzapine as he did not agree with the medication.  My new dose is 2.5mg daily and then from next week to take 2.5mg every two. days Last saturday I thought I was going to have a heart attack and called the paramedics out to me  They said I had a panic attack which I have never had before. I feel depressed but have feel that there is an improvement in my balance I cannot understand why I have been on this medication for 10years I agree with you Karogers this is a bad medication. I have dreadful anxiety I am not sure now what to do and wonder if others have suffered loss of balance and panic attacks from this drug?
    • Posted

Appreciate your reply Margaret and sorry that you too hve had to endure the bad side affects of Olanzapine I had unbelievable anxiety for 3-4 weeks experiencing 2 panic attacks Im very shakey still which my daughter pointed out today I expect my withdrawal symptons will be present for some time yet All the best to you
  • Posted

I was watching youtube videos related to Olanzapine and I saw a group of guys discussing it. A guy said they like to call it a "promiscuous drug" with a smirk on his face. I was like, are you sure that's not "you" you're talking about? 

• Posted

Hi Karogers,

My son is currently in a psych ward - we thought we had successfully tapered down his Olanzapine over 3 months - he was doing so well - he actually started to think for himself again!  After 7 weeks of being off it completely, he started to get insomnia, then athathisia, sweats, restlessness and then hallucinations.  He ended up in ED with psychosis (which by the way, he never had before starting these drugs).  I pleaded with the Dr's not to give him any more antipsychotics but they said "it's best practice" for his current state.  I had no rights to refuse as his mother - it's a Mental Health Act law.  I told everyone that all the antipsychotics he's been treated with over the last 3 years have made him mad and that he's had all these symptoms whilst on them.  I saw about 4 different Doctors, all of whom said Olanzapine cannot give you psychosis, it's to treat it.  Not everyone is my son and one basket does not fit all - and reading forums like these makes you realise how trapped people are and how little Doctors know.  I've asked the Psych's whether they've ever read forums like this one and also surviving antidepressants - and none have!  Please keep us up to date with your progress.  Need to know there is some hope for my 17yo to one day taper off them again.

• Posted

Hello Thankyou for yr response but I feel very sad/sorry to hear without doubt what Olanzapine has inflicted on yr son It makes me so angry Im so thankful I came across Patient Forum which has confirmed everything I hve experienced frm being on/withdrawing frm that drug Its extremely alarming!

Yes would definitely like to keep in touch

• Posted

Also, when you said bad mental disturbances - what kind?  He started hallucinating and talking to himself.

Did you get aggressive?

We went to visit him tonight in hospital and he did not want to see his own parents.  He looked so drugged up - puffy eyed, red faces and total zombie.  I need him to get stable and take him out of mental ward that he's sharing with recovering 'drug' addicts.  He is in same boat as them but his drug is legally given out by 'professionals'.

Please - ANYONE - let me know any tips or things you've learned re withdrawal process - it will all help when I probably try withdrawal again next year.

He's only 17 - and has his whole life ahead of him - I don't want him on drugs forever.

• Posted

Hello I wonder if you can advise me please I was taking Olanzapine 5mg now 2.5 mg and next week reducing to 2.5mg every other day  My breathing seems very shallow I hope to come off this medication. is the breathing side effects of the medication? thanks you for any advice you can give me  kind regards from Margaret
    • Posted

Hello Margaret

It actually breaks my heart hearing the bad state yr son is in! After the initial severe physical withdrawal symptons which still linger then followed the mental disturbance My mind would not shut up I could barely think was confused at times Luckily I did not experience aggression However I got so desperate so I succumbed to trying a few other drugs that the Doctors prescribed but I couldnt cope with their side affects I like to believe Im through the worst but Im going bk to my GP tomorrow as my heart has been doing funny things

Do keep in touch as I will be thinking of you and your son

Kerry

• Posted

Sorry I believe I got confused and replied to the wrong person I will come bk to you on advice on withdrawing

Kerry

• Posted

Once you get your son out of there, it's recommended to taper down gradually.

If the initial dose is 10mg , stay on that one  month, then cut it down to 7.5mg for the next month. Then 5 mg for the next month. The 2.5mg for the next month. You will need a tablet cutter after this to cut the 2.5 mg down; take this reduction more slowly . If there are problems, back to the former dose.for a month and stay on each dose for longer.

A healthy diet will help also.

• Posted

Can you believe they upped his dose from 7.5mg + a few PRNS of 2.5 thrown in for good measure - and then 10 days later he's on 20mg!!??  What were they thinking?  I was livid.  Blamed it on his thought disorder.

• Posted

Hi a good way to cutback slowly is say if you are on 5mg its good to use sandpaper to make the tablets smaller.And if you are on 2.5mg to slowly make the tablets smaller with the sandpaper.good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.