Olanzapine withdrawal ride from hell

Posted , 11 users are following.

1 year ago I had a hospital admission from being majorly depressed. As well as being put on an anti-depressant they also threw in Olanzapine which I continued to strongly question the psyche doctor over the next year as I didnt feel myself at all 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it Within 48hrs I felt a profound difference having clearer thinking but then came absolutely awful physical withdrawal symptons and following that really bad mental disturbance with terrible anxiety/shakes and now worst/frightening of all is I feel by how Im functioning that theres been some sort of damage to my brain but one thing for sure Im going to make someone accountable for whats happened to me

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Karogers  many thanks for your email and well wishes  and wish you well  Please keep in touch as it is nice to know someone who understands what we are going through regarding side effects of this drug  very best wishes from Margaret
    • Posted

HI Margaret

I just messaged you but sorry hve just realized to the wrong person so read my response to you via Dr Noldea

I did say I hve been experiencing confusion!☺

but its also early morning!

Thinking of u

Kerry

• Posted

Everyone, follow the reduction formula I tested. 2*number of years on olanzapine. That's how many months you have to reduce for. Reduce proportionally from the dose you feel comfortable taking, high as you need it. Reduce all the way to zero in as small increments as you can cut the pill into or dissolve into, I'm not sure if it can be dissolved.

Many withdrawal symptoms, I'm only left with voices. Mine took a year.

• Posted

How long, after you tapered off your very last minuscule dose, did the withdrawals start for you?

Doctors dismissed me when I said my son was going through withdrawal.

• Posted

I didn't do it that way. I shot myself straight into not taking the pill at all. The withdrawal started the next day. In retrospect, with how long I was sleepless for, I could have been reducing sendibly, I could sleep unmedicated in May, 12 months after I began going into cold turkey.

• Posted

After this method, being that it's a gentler one, the only wirhdrawal symptom you would be left with would be the voices.

• Posted

Hello maybefine  I have been on olanzepine for 10 years and have reduced my medication from 5mg to .2.5 mg for two weeks and then 2.5 mg  every other day  and then I have to see my doctor for further advice I have medication withdrawal can you advise me?  Best wishes from Margaret
    • Posted

Okay.

So if 5 mg is all you need currently to feel good and safe, let's start from there. If however you would benefit from a higher dose to feel comfortable and happy, raise the dose to as much as you want.

Maybe to 10 mg. Maybe 20 mg?

Take this dose for a week.

From then on, seeing as you've been on the medicine for 10 years (you were on 5mg consistently? I was on 10, let's do the same formula anyway) you will be ideally coming off the med for 10*2 months. 20 months.

That's quite a long time, but hopefully this way you'll be sleeping comfortably all the way. I don't think 2 weeks will do it, unfortunately as I tried that intuitively and I was jumping up and down with insomnia for 12 months.

So my advise is, foremost to check if these pills can be dissolved. There are orodispersable variants, maybe they can be dissolved? If you can dissolve the pill into a beaker, then measure out the 1/20monthsworth increment to take out every day, of your dose... you can reduce to 0 in 20 months. If not, see how small you can cut the pills with a pill cutter. Mete out the periods of time you can reduce these for, and take let's say 1/20th of a pill less every month? 

The crux is, if at any point you feel you can't sleep, go to the previous month's(?) increment in dosage, and work out a new formula, with a new 20 month span, of how to reduce that new dose to 0.

I just don't think 4 weeks will do it, it didn't for me.

• Posted

So, you can start the process at 5 mg, or start it at 10, or 20 or however much you want that would make you feel happy now. 20 months is a long time, you wouldn't want to halve your chances or anything.

• Posted

Hello maybefine  Many thanks for your information regarding olanzapine  I found it very informative and helpful  I will keep you informed!  kind regards from Margaret
    • Posted

Hello Sorry for slow response and thanks for yr reply/advice on reducing to come off Olanzapine Unfortunately I did it the real tough way going cold turkey The first 2 months hve been awful/quite scarey but I feel things are now slowly settling down
    • Posted

Same for me; I am the patient. They listen to my wife (who had me sectioned into the psychiatric ward under the Mental Health Act) But they will simply dismiss anything I try to tell them.

vbery familiar with that scenario.

• Posted

Hi Margaret a good way to get off these evil pills is to use sandpaper to cut back slower.just sand them down gradually.remember not to withdraw to quickly.good luck
  • Posted

Hello Kerry  just asking how are you today?   Just wondering what country you are in as I think there is a time difference  I am from the UK kind regards from Margaret
    • Posted

Hello Margaret Sorry for my slow response I usually get a notification if Ive received a reply Anyway I feel Im through the worst of the withdrawal symptons I do hope so! Im now into taking quality supplements to help improve my overall health

Im a kiwi living in New Zealand Where abouts in the U.K r u?

Kind regards

Kerry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.