Will I lose the weight gained by zyprexa?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello ! I was on zyprexa for 4 and 1/2 months and am off them . I have gained 9 kg ! The first 3 months I was on 10 mg , then for half a month on 5 mg and slowly tapering on 2.5 mg. Now I am off them for 20 days but I've lost only 2 kg..I don't know what to do..I am on a diet but the weight does not fall !Is it reversible? Any experience on that? Has anyone successfully lost the weight gained on zyprexa?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was on it for almost 20 years and was exercising all the time! Almost everyday never lost a pound! Than in April I was in I.C.U for 3 days as they tried to detox me in only 3 weeks! Laid 64 min near death! Long story short! I have been vary ILL since then and barely eat anything! Don't exercise! But don't loose weight eaither! It's Now almost Dec. And I still struggle! This was the pill from hell! And no one should ever be put on it! Unless they have schizophrenia and can not be healed any other way! I feel so bad for you ,but unfortunately ! I hear this story on this format! Over and over! Thank the Lord you were not on it that long! Elly Lilly should be held responsible! I know I will never be the same! 20 years of my life gone! God Bless you!

• Posted

Thank you for the response ! So havent you lost any kilos yet? Before I take zyprexa I was on antidepressants for 9 months..So I believe my metabolism has been slowed down due to this, as well..

• Posted

Remember that even though you stopped 20 days ago, Zyprexa has a long half-life, it's not completely out of your body before 14 days ish.

• Posted

Thank you for the response. I am now 1 month off zyprexa but my weight is still stable. Has anyone got any successful weight loss story?

• Posted

You talking about weight problems.. didn't you have any SLEEP problems when you came off this drug ? First majority of people SLEEP seems to be the major issue.

• Posted

Well, I was on zyprexa for about three years, in dosages ranging from 5-10 mg/day. I put on quite a bit of weight in those three years before I just one day declared to my pdoc that i wasn't going to take the pills any longer and quit.

Fat is fat, whether caused by zyprexa or anything else. I believe it will eventually respond to diligent diet and exercise. I do think anti-depressants, antipsychotics etc. can mess with our metabolism

• Posted

you mean it will mess with metabolism forever? permanent damage? did you lose the weight you gained?

• Posted

Not forever. It does mess with metabolism but that's only while it's in your system. As it's leaving mine I can feel everything going back normal slowly each day that passes

• Edited

Yes but it does improve. My sleep is perfect since off with an occasional night where i'm up pretty late.

When I say perfect though I mean I sleep.. It doesn't feel refreshing at all though. I'm at a point where if I don't use a cpap machine I wake up and my day is total crap. But that's not withdrawal, that's the damage Zyprexa and possibley the other med I was on had caused.

But every day I feel improvements in other ways, like cognitive for example. I always over exerted myself and just today for the first time in years I didn't have to and was actually somewhat productive. Gives me hope =)

• Posted

I've been off Olanzapine for 13 days and I've not slept for the past 11 days. I only took Olanzapine for 2 months, I dont know what to do. I've tried chamomile tea, magnesium supplements, promethazine and even some melatonin tablets, nothing seems to be helping me to sleep. At times I feel like going back on olanzapine just to get some sleep.

• Posted

Not sleep good again too had to take some again =\

Umm all I can think is you either need to go slower or maybe you still need to be on it? Have you talked to your doctor about coming off? I wasn't able to until I finally was able to tell my doctor I wanted to be off and she agreed.

• Posted

hello,

Are you still sleeping with a cpap machine? if so, how do you think zyprexa put you on a cpap to sleep? how did you know you had sleep apnea from zyprexa?

i currently quit cold turkey after three months on 5mgs and im struggling with insomnia and i think its because im not breathing as i fall asleep. im afraid quitting cold turkey has effected my CNS and i cant breathe anymore as i start to fall asleep and accured some form of sleep apnea.

thank you

nick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.