Olanzapine withdrawal is sooo hard

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. just joined this forum. God I feel sooo sick 😫. I don't know how long I've been taking olanzapine but my youngest is 17 now. I was prescribed it for anxiety and post natal depression. Over the years I have been on anything from 10mg when anxiety is out of control to 2.5mg when I'm feeling good. When anxiety is bad the doctor ups my dosage by 2.5mg at a time. Anyway in December 2019 I was really well and went to doctor to talk about coming off zypexa. He agreed and I started to reduce it. That was when my 2 years of he'll began. I didn't put it down to withdrawal until last December 2021 and I went to doc and announced I was on 1.25mg. Do you know what he said. Well done we class that as a dirty medication because of the side effects and withdrawal. I am so mad. I was never psychotic. I was overwhelmed with motherhood.

Anyway here I am now. Last Thursday (6days) I stopped the 1.25mg and I'm so sick. I haven't eaten in days. I have dry mouth and constant empty retching. My anxiety is awful. Heart palpitations etc. My head is clear though. It got so bad last night I took half 1.25mg (.625) and today is a little easier. Anyone suggest some natural products to help? Thanks for reading xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hello Mary; I'd be happy to help with this. Your withdrawal needs to be much slower; 10% per week at the fastest. There are plenty of natural resources that you can use - I'd love to share them but messaging is disabled currently so I don't know how to give you the info!

• Posted

i too was put on olanzpine for the same reasons! I've been on up to 5mg a time but have been taking 1.25 mg for months ( half a tablet) then broke it into quarters for about a month then stooped 3 and half weeks ago. I've been awful for the last week. no sleep at all some nights . I gave in around 1am this morning and took a quarter of a 2.5mg tablet. I just can't seem to get off this stuff. ive tried many times and the same thing happens. don't know what else to do

• Posted

Here i am and its now feb 2023

I stayed on .625mg and I still take it. I've been really unwell since last May and was even taken to hospital by ambulance. Anyway for now I'm staying on this dose and concentrating on reducing citalopram from 40mg

which I commenced on Feb 1st. All fairly good so farπŸ™

• Posted

Olanzapine is an anticholinergic that may cause dry mouth. Artificial saliva or sugar free candy can suppress the urge for excess fluid intake to counter dry mouth. It is always good to boost appetite naturally; however, if you have lost the urge to eat, ask your doctor about appetite stimulants.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.