Has anyone come off Olanzapine (2.5 mg) successfully after taking it for 3 months?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been taking Olanzapine for 3 months. Most of the time it was 1.25mg.  I can't tolerate it at any strength. For the last 6 days, I have been taking only a quarter of a pill or about .60 mg.

As I write this, I am shaking, agitated and feel awful. Is this normal? Will this ever go away?

When will it go away????? I can't even get our of the bed. Please share your experience.

3 likes, 257 replies

257 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tapering method of olanzapine,10% reduction of every month.As you are shaking ,better to reinstate 1.25 or 2.5 mg or where you won't feel withdrawal symptoms.once your nervous system stabilized,then start tapering 10% of last dose.search surviving antidepressants in Google for forum help.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I came off 2.5 after taking it for a few months. Been off it six weeks. I tapered over 2 months. I had some bad days but it was ok. I am on other meds though so that may have helped me.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I went to 1.25 for 4 weeks. Then got liquid and went to 0.625 for 4 weeks then off.

Had few problems tapering and for 1st 5 weeks off then got hit with 3 weeks of awful withdrawals. I think it has passed now.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah.

I was on 10mg.the doc cut mine to 5mg in one go. I was fine the first week but second week now and am feeling withdrawal symptoms. How long does it take to ease off ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thx for coming back so quickly.yes the psychiatrist said I don't need as much olanzapine and upped the SSRI instead(setraline).im just in the 2nd week of withdrawal.i'll give it a few more weeks .as u say it takes around 4 weeks

Report Reply
    • Posted

Did you feel different everyday while going through the withdrawal ? I find that im clear headed in the morning then it starts with the uncomfortable feeling. It still hasn't eased off. It's the 2nd week now.first week I didn't feel any different at all without the meds.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I spoke to the doc and he said headaches are not because of withdrawal. im inclined to agree with you .they don't know much.all I can do is give it time to pass and hope it doesn't take too long.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Feeling quite anxious all of a sudden.is this normal ? How long before this passes ?today has been like yo yo.i woke up with a clear head,then had some weird emotions.now feeling anxious a bit.hope this calms down
      Report Reply
    • Posted

It is very hard to say as we are all different. You have done a really big drop so it will take time for your brain to adjust.

Are you on other meds ?

What were you put on it for ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was put on it for anxiety.im on setraline as well 100mg. Im going to try using amino acids to help with the seratonin .see if that helps
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Does the sertraline help ?

Why did the doctor reduce your olanzapine so much ? Were you feeling better ?

Be careful with amino acids. I found they made my anxiety worse. Better to try meditation

Report Reply
    • Posted

Its meant to help in four to six weeks doc said.ill try 5htp see if it helps with the seratonin levels.yest felt low till 2 pm then it cleared up and I felt near normal.all I did was take two paracetamol
      Report Reply
    • Posted

He reduced the olanzapine to half saying I don't need it now and upped setraline to 100mg saying that will help more.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I read that too and the doc said the same thing.it would really help if I could take it.guess I'll just have to wait for the withdrawal symptoms to pass.its nearly 3 weeks now since I reduced the olanzapine and upped the SSRI.doc said the SSRI takes 4-6 weeks to work

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah. I'm feeling some anxiety which I normally would not.im changing projects at work and that has me a bit anxious but I noticed that I'm feeling more anxious than normal.is it due to the withdrawal to feel more anxious ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Sarah.i was worried I was feeling anxious when normally I'm quite calm about changing projects and teams. Have been doing it for 20 yrs. How long approximately before this passes ? The low feeling has gone.that took two weeks to go.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi . I'm feeling a lack of confidence in things which normally I wouldn't.do you think this is part of the withdrawal symptoms messing up my head. Im nearly four weeks into the withdrawal from olanzapine now

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im getting anxious thoughts about work related stuff which normally i wouldn't get as im good at my job. is this related to the withdrawal symptoms ? its been like this for a week now.week before was feeling low

Report Reply
    • Posted

feels like im going crazy sometimes with this withdrawal symptoms. did you get that too ? its better some days but plays up on another

Report Reply
    • Posted

its scary isnt it.the feeling of going crazy.mine starts in the morning and its a constant battle to try and keep my head stable.hope it settles down soon.

Report Reply
    • Posted

do you think the crazy feeling will go in a week or two or may take longer.is it worth seeing the gp for this ? can they do anything

Report Reply
    • Posted

I think it may take longer as your drop was so big. You could see your doctor but they well suggest reinstating. You could discuss going to 7.5 and reducing more slowely. Remind me how long were you on it ?

It is a very heavy duty med that should not just be reduced so fast.

Report Reply
    • Posted

i was on it for a year but as ive done 4 weeks already maybe i just stick it out a few more weeks and then withdrawal is done. i think im nearly there.its been tough getting this far and i dont want to go back on it then reduce again. also doc said in 6 months to come off totally

Report Reply
    • Posted

i was on it for a year but as ive done 4 weeks already maybe i just stick it out a few more weeks and then withdrawal is done. i think im nearly there.its been tough getting this far and i dont want to go back on it then reduce again. also doc said in 6 months to come off totally

Report Reply
    • Posted

i keep getting negative thoughts thats ruining my confidence about working.then it swings to low mood .hope the withdrawal symptoms go away soon.

Report Reply
    • Posted

It could take a while.

Try and go a day at a time. I find scoring my days out if 10 helps. 10 being the best 0 being the worst and writing it down. This helps get perspective. I have been doing this for 2 years.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. had a feeling of dread yesterday but it went by lunch time. today feeling scattered headed and anxiety. is this normal too for withdrawal symptoms ?

shouldn't be too long now to finish the withdrawal.its been nearly five weeks.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.ive found that the anxiety has flared up on the weekend and today too. did you get this too when coming off olanzapine ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Distraction. Olanzapine calms thoughts so when stopping or reducing the opposite happens. It is a heavy sedative so your body is over stimulated as it adjusts.

Report Reply
    • Posted

that makes sense.i wish there was something i could take to calm the anxiety down.its a heightened state and i have no idea when it will go down.im taking vitamins,omega 3 ,vitamin d but nothing seems to be helping much

Report Reply
    • Posted

how long did yours last ?ive had this 3 days now.i went to the doctor but he wont give any more meds.im lost as to what i can do to feel calm

Report Reply
    • Posted

how long did yours last ?ive had this 3 days now.i went to the doctor but he wont give any more meds.im lost as to what i can do to feel calm

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was on 2.5mg for 5 months including 2 month tapering with liquid so a different situation to you. Lower dose for less time with taper. It came and went. By about 3 months i felt better but i had good days before that. I am on other meds as well.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive booked to see a homeopath this sat.wonder if she can help me.she has treated people with anxiety before so im hopeful it will help.i also have cbt therapy once every two weeks but that doesn't seem to be doing much. have u tried meditation ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Try breathing excercises to start. In for 4, hold for 7 then slow breathe out for 7. In through mouth out through nose.

Report Reply
    • Posted

im feeling like an emotional mess with various thoughts running through my mind causing anxiety and worry. dont know what to do about them.i'll try the breathing exercises

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.been having feeling of fear that i cant do my job.feel scared of new stuff at work even though before this condition i was doing fine.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Probably best. Try and rest and not get too caught up in your anxiety. It is easy when we have time on our hands to let the anxiety take hold. It is withdrawals but it may take some time to resolve so re group.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive changed teams at work and theres a lot of new stuff to pick up.thing is ive changed teams before and picked up new stuff without issue but now with this condition its making me feel overwhelmed

Report Reply
    • Posted

plus the withdrawal symptoms arent making it easy to deal with the change in teams.

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Sarah. at times i feel like im going to go crazy.this withdrawal has nasty effects on the mind. i used to love learning new stuff but now i get overwhelmed which is v odd feeling for me . thankyou for your support Sarah. its really helpful

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.

doc reduced my olanzapine from 5 to 2.5 mg.im feeling heightened anxiety to the point where i start sweating on my head. is this just the withdrawal symptoms im going through ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

i was feeling better before this but seems to be a heightened state of anxiety now.even thinking about work causes anxiety. i have a phone interview next week and im getting really anxious about it.normally i would not be so anxious

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. woke up today with feelings of confusion. i think its the withdrawal symptoms of olanzapine. did you feel confusion too ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

did you have feelings of confusion when coming off olanzapine ? its a nasty medication. im only on 2.5 mg now.maybe doc should have reduced me more slowly.ill bear with this for a while.hope it eases off.

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Sarah. its like confusion with a mild headache. its a clear day here today.go out for a walk hopefully will help a bit.

Report Reply
    • Posted

You will do. They quieten your mind and thoughts so reduce them the opposite happens. When did you drop to 2.5 ? Are you sleeping ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

doc reduced me to 2.5 mg two weeks ago. last time when they reduced it from 10 to 5 it took around two weeks before i started having withdrawal symptoms. now its two weeks since i dropped to 2.5 and the withdrawal symptoms have started again. sleep is fine as im still taking 2.5 at night.

Report Reply
    • Posted

will this settle down ? the anxiety due to the reduction in meds. is there anything i can take that will calm down the

Report Reply
    • Posted

feeling low in mood due to the withdrawal.making me feel nausea.seem to be having negative thoughts.did you feel this too ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

sorry been having technical difficulties

you know the withdrawal from drop to 5mg inproved. so will this. it will take time again.

all your symptoms are normal but unpleasant.

Report Reply
    • Posted

how did you feel when you totally stopped olanzapine ? some people say they dont feel normal at all. im hoping i can come off this medicine.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im having heart problems.going to a&e.yesterday started feeling out of breath in the gym. did u have heart problems too?

Report Reply
    • Posted

they did ecg and that was normal. they doing blood tests now.i think the root cause is having negative thoughts.any ideas on how to deal with that ? i dont know if the withdrawal symptoms from olanzapine are causing it. did you get negative thoughts too ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

i did. i suspect it is anxiety causing the heart problems. the only way through withdrawals is to just deal with each day and remember it is withdrawal. are you still on sertraline ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

yes.still on setraline but i dont feel like its doing much.the olanzapine withdrawal symptoms are nasty causing severe anxiety which then causes heart and stomach issues. ill remember what you said that its all withdrawal symptoms.

Report Reply
    • Posted

feel quite low sometimes.down in the dumps feeling. cant seem to feel positive or feel any pleasure. how can i combat this ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

the sertlaline will not override the olanzapine withdrawal. nothing will

try to stay busy and distract yourself. remember thoughts are just that they are not reality. your view of reality is not to be trusted right now. your mind is trying to cope with less olanzapine. try to meditate and clear your mind just watch the thoughts as they come but don t believe them. it will pass.

Report Reply
    • Posted

it feels like the front of the head is over active and this feeling of stress even when im not worrying about much. is this withdrawal symptoms too ? mind feels overactive when before i used to feel calm all day when i was taking the full dose of olanzapine

Report Reply
    • Posted

it feels like being in constant stress due to overthinking. the mind is definitely more active then when i was on the full dose of olanzipine

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im feeling a bit funny in the head. the old symptoms cant come back can they ? is it just withdrawal symptoms im feeling as im just on 2.5mg now. thanks.

Report Reply
    • Posted

is it just my brain trying to adjust to less olanzapine that i feel funny ? the old symptoms cant come back can they as i didnt withdraw quickly.

Report Reply
    • Posted

been to the doctor today and he said they definitely wont come back .he meant the symptoms.that is reassuring. ive got 2.5 mg to get off now.doc said give it a month then we will reduce it. how do you feel with no olanzapine at all now ? how long did the withdrawal last once you came off it totally ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

beenreading articles saying antipsychotic causes brain shrinkage but doesnt say over what time frame . this is slightly worrying . i really hope i can reduce the last of the 2.5mg and get over the withdrawal symptoms

Report Reply
    • Posted

for me the hardest bit was 5 to 8 weeks after discontonuing it. then i started to feel better but i am on other meds so that may have helped.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im feeling anxious soon as i wake up. i think of work and i get anxious. i manage to calm myself down generally but is this anxiety withdrawal symptoms from the olanzapine ? i never used to feel like this when i was on it.

Report Reply
    • Posted

any idea when the anxiety will calm down ? ive been on 2.5mg for 4weeks now.first two weeks i felt ok then the anxiety started .

Report Reply
    • Posted

It is different for everyone. Could take a bit longer. You had the same when you last dropped. It does get harder as you get lower.

Are you working ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

im not working.took time off so just at home doing interviews for a few jobs. the next drop doc said will be in jan and then no more olanzapine. this time on 2.5 im feeling the withdrawal more then before. but as you said it gets harder as u get lower.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im having strange thoughts about things and getting stressed over things that mostly i wouldn't worry about. is this the withdrawal symptoms ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Sarah. its strange as im going for interviews for jobs thst are within my skillset and even though ive done those kind of jibs before im getting stressed just thinking about the work. hate this withdrawal.also overthinking things i normally dont.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.im feeling quite anxious today.i think its cause of all the stress of looking for a job recently. do u think it will pass and i wont relapse ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

i had got too stressed at work and then psychiatrist gave me olanzapine. i dont want a relapse its horrible.ive stopped looking for work now so thats a lot less stress on me.im just going to relax for a month or two.i hope this passes and i start recovering again.

Report Reply
    • Posted

im having negative thoughts that are then causing me stress .i then spend all day trying to get rid of them. is this the olanzapine withdrawal ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

im feeling like im going crazy.feeling confused today. had a severe headache today morning but its calmed down since.

Report Reply
    • Posted

wish it settles down quickly. mind doesnt feel relaxed at all.stomach churning as if its all going to happen again.i really dont want to go back on the olanzapine

Report Reply
    • Posted

are negative thoughts a sign of withdrawal and feeling down or is this me doing it ? so i need to focus on positive things.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. i had repeated thoughts of old stuff coming back to my mind.just past mistakes and stuff like that. with five mg i never felt like this but on 2.5 it feels like old symptoms coming back sometimes. last time i spoke to the doc he said im definitely not relapsing as he reduced the med slowly. ive made an appointment to see the doc today. do u think its a relapse or just usual withdrawal symptoms.

Report Reply
    • Posted

im having a lot of negative thoughts about stuff from the past. guilty feelings about stuff.doc said its prob cause of olanzapine withdrawal. i should take 2.5extra if i need it.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. its weird isnt it that withdrawal from olanzapine causes such weird negative thoughts to come to mind. never used to get these before. its almost like the mind is dredging up every bad thing done in the past and spewing it out . do u have an aporoach to deal with these mind traps ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Just to remember it is withdrawals. It can t be a relapse if it was not happening before the olanzapine.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I really wouldn t it will set you back. Xmas won t be helping.

Try and distract yourself with something that involves yoyr brain like crosswords.

Report Reply
    • Posted

its weird the thoughts dont go.when one goes another one appears. one of my friends said dont try to neutralise it just accept all the thoughts. do u have any suggestions Sarah ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

its weird.yesterday i was quite ok. today since morning my mind has been playing tricks on me. it came up with thought that have no resolution so my head keeps spinning around it. doc is going to take me totally off olanzapine on 2nd jan.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive had these mind tricks my head is playing for a few days now.it started a week ago now sice olanzapine dose dropped. did you get these mental issues when you were going through withdrawal ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

ill ask the doc if theres something else besides olanzapine he can give me that would help with these thoughts that keep popping up.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Sarah. im a little afraid of coming off olanzapine totally having read some horror stories of withdrawal. im just on 2.5, mg now.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Ash, you seem to be getting good advice from Sarah, but I'll chime in if you don't mind.

I'm new on this forum and have made a great detailed "discussion" about how I got off this drug after using it for ~2 years that is currently waiting approval. From my understanding, what you are feeling is normal and its all to do with the GABA receptors in your brain. In a nutshell you have low GABA which is at least contributing to the intrusive thoughts, if not causing them completely. If you have insomnia/trouble sleeping, it's also causing that. 2.5 mg is the last dose I was on, and I came off it, so you can to, but you need to do it carefully. From my experience, stopping 2.5mg straight off (ie no tapering) is a very, very bad idea. Everyone's withdrawal will vary but I think you are wise to be very cautious of it.

Hopefully my "discussion" will be approved so you can read it and get the same help and advice I did.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi. thanks for responding to my message. ill ask the doctor to taper me off slowly off the 2 .5. maybe cut the tablet in half for the first month then take the second half the other month. is there anyway to help the gaba receptors recover quickly ? any suppliments i can take ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hey Ash.

We really need to wait for my main post to be approved, but in a nutshell I would wait and read that, then get the same help I did. Your brain isn't very happy right now, so in my opinion you won't be able to carry out the repair work necessary if you come off the 2.5mg. And regarding "quickly", then, sadly, no. It isn't a quick process. I'm not expert enough to give you accurate timelines, but I reduced from 5 to 2.5 (which is a massive drop) and pretty much immediately got problems, getting worse slowly, and took that dose for ~10 months before my first catastrophic failure of a withdrawal attempt. I then had to go back on it because I simply couldn't function without it, hence took it for a further ~6 months, whilst supplementing and brain training.

I then started withdrawal,and because of the supps and training, this was successful.

If you are not stable now, don't even think about coming off it. I came off it when I was feeling fine and it went really bad. This isn't to scare you, its to save you from a horrible time like I had.

Think of the training and supps you will hopefully learn about as building a reserve for yourself to use when you are without the drug. If you don't have that reserve in advance, you will encounter problems.

Again, hope the mods get things moving so my main forum post is approved!

Report Reply
    • Posted

As an important side note for anyone who has read about the problem being to do with low GABA: do NOT take a GABA supplement to boost GABA as this will exacerbate the problem; GABA needs to be boosted through alternative means but again, not GABA directly!

Report Reply
    • Posted

interested to read your main post especially the brain training and supps. i get these thoughts from the past that then bug me .otherwise i feel quite stable.

Report Reply
    • Posted

are there any techniques i can use with these thoughts that keep popping up in my mind ? they are all from the past but its driving me crazy

Report Reply
    • Posted

Everyone is different. I do think your doctor is taking you off to fast though. You need to be stable before dropping again.

Report Reply
    • Posted

how can i boost my Gaba so i can feel better ? i dont know how/if these thoughts will go ? sometimes i feel that theyre too much.i dont know what to do with these thoughts.when i was on five mg i didnt have these issues at all.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Daz. rather then waiting for your post to get approved pls can you briefly outline what supps i need to take and how to boost my gaba .plus the brain training. these thoughts are really bothering me and i need to do something about them.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive got an appointment with Peter from balancebrainchemistry. i think my Gaba levels are low due to the olanzapine withdrawal. thats why im getting these thoughts and general anxiety. hope the suppliments and herbs he prescribes help.

Report Reply
    • Posted

i wish these thoughts would stop. they start soon as i wake up and go on all day.till i take the olanzapine at night and go to sleep. doc said its the withdrawal causing this.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. today morning it feels a little like the old symptoms when i first got this condition. this i assume is just withdrawal. they shouldn't come again should they. hopefully it will pass. do u think its worth taking half an olanzapine tab ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

the silly thoughts start soon as i wake up. any ideas on how to handle them ? olanzapine was keeping me very calm. without mind seems scrambled.

Report Reply
    • Posted

yep. fighting the thoughts only makes it stronger. only way is to accept them and let the thoughts come. ive booked an appointment with a psychologist for tomorrow to see if she can help me through all this. the withdrawal symptoms are really bad causing all these thoughts.

Report Reply
    • Posted

im getting some old thoughts coming back that originally caused this condition. should i take my olanzapine early today ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.im feeling funny in the head after taking the suppliments for three days now. do u think i should stop them or is it just my brain adjusting ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

im taking ashwaganda, taurine, curcumin, magnesium citrate,passiflora for now. im waiting for valerian to come.i also took some probiotics which i think caused my stomach to get upset thus the headache today morning.

Report Reply
    • Posted

this low gaba is a serious problem.its causing all these silly thoughts from my past popping up into my head then i waste time trying to resolve them. as dez said the solution is not to resolve them and just let them be. any other ideas Sarah ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Low gaba will do that. Let them be and if you can try an counter them with positive thoughts. Breathing excercises. In for 7 hold then out for 11. Everything is temporary even if it does not feel like it.

Report Reply
    • Posted

To clarify, I suggested that the recommended way of dealing with intrusive thoughts is indeed to just let them be; let them come in, buzz around then eventually buzz off. If you process them, "stick them under a magnifying glass", and start analysing them, you are teaching your brain that these thoughts really are important. That, coupled with the anxiety they cause you, causes your brain to keep presenting you with them because it thinks it is helping you avoid this "threat", that isn't really a threat at all.

"...then i waste time trying to resolve them..."

Oh that rings SO many bells with me! I have been there, done that, got the T-shirt. And there is one thing that I can without a shadow of a doubt say. Its that if you resolve one thought, you can GUARANTEE that there will be another one come along that wants you to resolve it too. And after that another one. And another one. The thing is, the thoughts will probably change form, they will be on the same theme except slightly different in some way. But they will keep coming, you can rely on it.

In fact, I experienced this earlier; I felt the anxiety. And I was tempted to try and "resolve" the thought just as you say in order to resolve the anxiety. But I knew what my brain was trying to do; I knew that if I did "resolve" the thought, I'd weaken myself and another thought would come along, except the urge to "resolve" that one would be much stronger, because I'd be "weakened" by resolving the first.

So I ignored it. It was there, buzzing around, but gradually faded. And here I am now, happily typing this, knowing that I've beaten it.

Again.

By doing this I'm teaching my brain that it can throw this rubbish at me all it likes, but it WILL NOT make me budge.

IT WILL NOT.

It's like the school bully - if you ignore them, they eventually give up because all of their power - which is seeing you upset and bothered by their actions - you take away from them by ignoring them.

Try it. Try and leave the thought for an hour. See how much your anxiety has reduced. Then push it for another hour if you can. See it reduce again. At this point, you might be thinking "wow, I've gone two hours, lets go for another hour". If you can, do it. You will be getting stronger by the minute. This gives you the confidence to try to hold out a little longer, then a little longer still, until eventually you have held out that long you have forgotten what the thought was. And at that stage, you have won the battle. There may be many more, but this victory is YOURS. Just repeat the process for each thought that comes up in the future.

It really does work.

One tip: if you really are struggling, it would be best to try this when you are at home, safe, not, say, driving or at work.

Now, GABA will indeed increase with the supplements you mention, but this takes time. What is also crucial is that you start the brain training exercises I presume Peter gave you: the relaxation response and the meditation one. This will, for want of a better phrase, grow new GABA receptors so you can better handle the increase in GABA that the supplements give you. Peter can elaborate more on this if you ask him.

There isn't a magic, two minute fix, sadly. The drug has done some stuff which will need time to repair; you have already taken the hardest step which is getting the professional help you need. Now the rest - the time you spend doing the training and diligently taking the supplements - is up to you. You will heal at the fastest rate if you give 100% effort to this.

Trust me. I did. And I healed. So YOU can too!

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Dez. the thoughts seem so convincing that its tempting to just dive in and analyse it under a microscope. but then u get bogged down in a web of more thoughts that you cant get out of and it gets worse.

Report Reply
    • Posted

sometimes the thoughts make me feel guilty of things i did in the past and even though i have asked for forgiveness from the lord and taken steps to rectify the situation these thoughts still keep popping up. do you suggest i do the same thing and leave these thoughts unresolved and just let them be ? they will fade in time if i dont give them attention ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

As I've said, from what I've learned from therapy, the way to get past intrusive thoughts is to not pay them attention. That means not "resolving" them, not asking yourself what they mean, nothing. Just leave them alone and they will disappear, and eventually stop coming back.

Unless you have been taught something different in your therapy sessions, I would assume that this is still the recommended method for dealing with them.

Report Reply
    • Posted

you must have had a good therapist.ive been to four different ones but none gave me the sound advice youre giving me. if youre in London , please can you give me the number of your therapist pls ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I suggest you speak to Peter about this; he might be able to give you the CBT you need or at least recommend a therapist in London, since that is where he himself is based.

According to Peter's website, he does exposure therapy, which I believe is a form of ERP (exposure response prevention) which is, from what I know, used to treat intrusive thoughts. So when you speak to him, he might be your therapist, as well as your nutritional guru!

And yes, the thoughts will be troubling. But again, you are correcting your brain chemistry through the supplementation; you just need to give it time!

You need to make sure you do a) the relaxation one, and b) the meditation one (where you keep the mind still). Both are crucial for rebuilding your damaged receptors.

Report Reply
    • Posted

its weird how one thought goes and as you said another one pops up on a different angle. sometimes worse then the other one.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Which is why you should not try and resolve them. Like I said, your brain will ALWAYS come up with a new twist, angle, or slant on the thought that you just "resolved". Don't give it a reason to; don't resolve the thought. Then you stop feeding it.

Ask Peter about exposure therapy, telling him the trouble these thoughts are causing you. And please, keep doing the exercises he gave you; their benefit builds up over time.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Dez.im getting less thoughts but i feel the anxiety as the thoughts start in the morning. any idea how to stop the anxiety kicking off from the thoughts ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I am glad you are getting less thoughts; by not reacting to them you are slowly teaching your brain that they are not a threat - hence it will stop presenting them to you!

Mornings used to be the worse time for me too. The olanzapine, which you take at night, will increase your GABA receptor sensitivity hence you will feel calm, sleepy, and sleep well. This wears off overnight so by morning you are more prone to feeling anxious.

The brain training helped me massively with this, in addition to the supplements. If you take taurine, try taking it first thing along with the other GABA enhancing supps (eg theanine) that Peter has told you about. However unless you teach your brain that these thoughts are not important you are going to keep having issues to some extent, even if they are only minor levels of anxiety.

Keep ignoring the thoughts. You know what is causing them, you just need to stop feeding them.

How long has it been since you had a thought that you "had" to "resolve"? Have you managed to not resolve ANY since I suggested this 5 days ago? I hope so ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Report Reply
    • Posted

im the same. its worse in the morning. i get the thoughts a lot in the morning and thst causes the morning anxiety.i have managed not to resolve a few thoughts.its very difficult not to resolve thoughts as they seem so real in the mind that you feel like resolving it . is this all becsuse of olanzapine withdrawal that the kind keeps throwing these thoughts up all the time.

Report Reply
    • Posted

what is the best way to teach the mind that these thoughts are not important ? just ignoring them ? i get them in the morning and they seem stuck all day.

Report Reply
    • Posted

IN MY CASE, the thoughts were because of the damage that OL had done; I know that because I had thoughts that

a) I didn't have whilst taking the OL

b) I had never had before in my life

I don't know your specifics, but there obviously is a chance that the same is happening to you.

You need to talk to a therapist as I've suggested earlier to get the latest methods on dealing with these thoughts; all I can say is from my experience, and that is that ignoring them by not "resolving them" is the best method I've found.

You have already been in touch with Peter; have you asked him how he can help you therapy wise?

Report Reply
    • Posted

im the same. never had this while on OL. never had it before too.im trying to find a good therapist. i used to have one for cbt.im tryimg to see if she can help me but from reading around the answer seems to be as you say dont resolve the thought and ignore them is the best way.i did email Peter but havent had a reply yet.

Report Reply
    • Posted

spoke to Peter just now and he said keep doing the mindfulness and taking the suppliments. then after three months of doing mindfulness it should have got better. then he said he can add some more loops into the meditation.in the meantime let the thoughts and feelings come up.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what these supplements are, and where/how to find out about the meditations? Who is Peter?

Thank you much.

Report Reply
    • Posted

We delete content if it doesnโ€™t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Hi daz,

Yes, I am suffering enormously with olanzapine withdrawal. I won't go into details about my symptoms, other than to say they are far, far worse than any I've read anywhere, and I've read a lot. My situation is further complicated by the benzo I'm on.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hey Ian, sorry to hear that. I've sent you a message with some details. Please post back here with questions so the information is available to all ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Daz. been meditating for a while now . im experiencing all these thoughts and emotions coming up. is this normal ? ive emailed Peter to ask him too.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Sorry Ash, for some reason I haven't been getting notifications of replies here. What thoughts and emotions are coming up? And what is the meditation you are doing - the one where you focus on keeping your mind still?

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Daz. yes.thats the meditation where you try to keep the mind still. i had thoughts coming up about work stuff and general thoughts on things going on in my life. i spoke to Peter and he said its pretty normal. on some days i feel calm on other days i feel anxious all day.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Yeah that's fine. People's minds are not used to being still; the brain likes to have lots of thoughts running about it in. However, the way I look at is is that it cannot repair if all these thoughts are going around in it; hence, when you focus on keeping it still, you rebuild the GABA receptors that have been damaged by this drug, and balance out other neurotransmitters too. All you need to do when a thought comes up is push it away, and return your mind to stillness. If you have to do this once, twice, or a hundred times, it doesn't matter; what matters is that you are consistently trying to return it to stillness. As you get stronger, you will find that the time between thoughts appearing will get longer and longer. But again, do not be put off by the flow of thoughts; just because you are having these thoughts does NOT mean you are not meditating; meditating is PROCESS of pushing the thoughts away COMBINED with the keeping the mind still.

How long are you doing it for, per day? And how is the anxiety and intrusive thoughts, since you have been meditating for quite some time now? I am guessing better - how much better would you say?

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Daz. the intrusive thoughts have gone down a lot. the anxiety is hardly there some days and on other days its quite bad. today its quite bad. dont really know what to do now. the meditating is working .i do it for 30-40mins per day. i think as im getting ready to look for work next month the anxiety has gone up. any tips to handle this ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Excellent, glad to hear that; I am not surprised though, meditation in this manner is excellent at rebuilding the GABA receptors and balancing neurochemistry in general.

When you have anxious moments, you need to do the vagus nerve breathing I told you about before to get a quick hit of GABA. I do 10 deep breaths, then a few seconds rest, then another 10. That usually calms me right down. Additionally, if you are really bad, you could take a theanine and/or some taurine to boost GABA.

Looking for a job will increase your anxiety, it's only natural. How you manage that is what is important; following these tips here will ensure you can keep it to a minimum!

Report Reply
    • Posted

To all future readers who come across this thread, the person that we have been discussing as a source of information and