Has anyone come off Olanzapine (2.5 mg) successfully after taking it for 3 months?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking Olanzapine for 3 months. Most of the time it was 1.25mg.  I can't tolerate it at any strength. For the last 6 days, I have been taking only a quarter of a pill or about .60 mg.

As I write this, I am shaking, agitated and feel awful. Is this normal? Will this ever go away?

When will it go away????? I can't even get our of the bed. Please share your experience.

3 likes, 141 replies

Report Reply

141 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tapering method of olanzapine,10% reduction of every month.As you are shaking ,better to reinstate 1.25 or 2.5 mg or where you won't feel withdrawal symptoms.once your nervous system stabilized,then start tapering 10% of last dose.search surviving antidepressants in Google for forum help.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I came off 2.5 after taking it for a few months. Been off it six weeks. I tapered over 2 months. I had some bad days but it was ok. I am on other meds though so that may have helped me.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I went to 1.25 for 4 weeks. Then got liquid and went to 0.625 for 4 weeks then off.

Had few problems tapering and for 1st 5 weeks off then got hit with 3 weeks of awful withdrawals. I think it has passed now.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Sarah!!! And did you take 2 mg or you directly jumped to 1.25 from 2.5 mg.Also how long were you on olanzapine?
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah.

I was on 10mg.the doc cut mine to 5mg in one go. I was fine the first week but second week now and am feeling withdrawal symptoms. How long does it take to ease off ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thx for coming back so quickly.yes the psychiatrist said I don't need as much olanzapine and upped the SSRI instead(setraline).im just in the 2nd week of withdrawal.i'll give it a few more weeks .as u say it takes around 4 weeks

Report Reply
    • Posted

Did you feel different everyday while going through the withdrawal ? I find that im clear headed in the morning then it starts with the uncomfortable feeling. It still hasn't eased off. It's the 2nd week now.first week I didn't feel any different at all without the meds.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I spoke to the doc and he said headaches are not because of withdrawal. im inclined to agree with you .they don't know much.all I can do is give it time to pass and hope it doesn't take too long.

Report Reply
    • Posted

There's no chance of old symptoms coming back is there or it feels like that while withdrawal is taking place ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Feeling quite anxious all of a sudden.is this normal ? How long before this passes ?today has been like yo yo.i woke up with a clear head,then had some weird emotions.now feeling anxious a bit.hope this calms down
      Report Reply
    • Posted

It is very hard to say as we are all different. You have done a really big drop so it will take time for your brain to adjust.

Are you on other meds ?

What were you put on it for ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was put on it for anxiety.im on setraline as well 100mg. Im going to try using amino acids to help with the seratonin .see if that helps
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Does the sertraline help ?

Why did the doctor reduce your olanzapine so much ? Were you feeling better ?

Be careful with amino acids. I found they made my anxiety worse. Better to try meditation

Report Reply
    • Posted

Its meant to help in four to six weeks doc said.ill try 5htp see if it helps with the seratonin levels.yest felt low till 2 pm then it cleared up and I felt near normal.all I did was take two paracetamol
      Report Reply
    • Posted

He reduced the olanzapine to half saying I don't need it now and upped setraline to 100mg saying that will help more.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I read that too and the doc said the same thing.it would really help if I could take it.guess I'll just have to wait for the withdrawal symptoms to pass.its nearly 3 weeks now since I reduced the olanzapine and upped the SSRI.doc said the SSRI takes 4-6 weeks to work

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah. I'm feeling some anxiety which I normally would not.im changing projects at work and that has me a bit anxious but I noticed that I'm feeling more anxious than normal.is it due to the withdrawal to feel more anxious ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Sarah.i was worried I was feeling anxious when normally I'm quite calm about changing projects and teams. Have been doing it for 20 yrs. How long approximately before this passes ? The low feeling has gone.that took two weeks to go.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi . I'm feeling a lack of confidence in things which normally I wouldn't.do you think this is part of the withdrawal symptoms messing up my head. Im nearly four weeks into the withdrawal from olanzapine now

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im getting anxious thoughts about work related stuff which normally i wouldn't get as im good at my job. is this related to the withdrawal symptoms ? its been like this for a week now.week before was feeling low

Report Reply
    • Posted

feels like im going crazy sometimes with this withdrawal symptoms. did you get that too ? its better some days but plays up on another

Report Reply
    • Posted

its scary isnt it.the feeling of going crazy.mine starts in the morning and its a constant battle to try and keep my head stable.hope it settles down soon.

Report Reply
    • Posted

do you think the crazy feeling will go in a week or two or may take longer.is it worth seeing the gp for this ? can they do anything

Report Reply
    • Posted

I think it may take longer as your drop was so big. You could see your doctor but they well suggest reinstating. You could discuss going to 7.5 and reducing more slowely. Remind me how long were you on it ?

It is a very heavy duty med that should not just be reduced so fast.

Report Reply
    • Posted

i was on it for a year but as ive done 4 weeks already maybe i just stick it out a few more weeks and then withdrawal is done. i think im nearly there.its been tough getting this far and i dont want to go back on it then reduce again. also doc said in 6 months to come off totally

Report Reply
    • Posted

i was on it for a year but as ive done 4 weeks already maybe i just stick it out a few more weeks and then withdrawal is done. i think im nearly there.its been tough getting this far and i dont want to go back on it then reduce again. also doc said in 6 months to come off totally

Report Reply
    • Posted

i keep getting negative thoughts thats ruining my confidence about working.then it swings to low mood .hope the withdrawal symptoms go away soon.

Report Reply
    • Posted

It could take a while.

Try and go a day at a time. I find scoring my days out if 10 helps. 10 being the best 0 being the worst and writing it down. This helps get perspective. I have been doing this for 2 years.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. had a feeling of dread yesterday but it went by lunch time. today feeling scattered headed and anxiety. is this normal too for withdrawal symptoms ?

shouldn't be too long now to finish the withdrawal.its been nearly five weeks.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.ive found that the anxiety has flared up on the weekend and today too. did you get this too when coming off olanzapine ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Distraction. Olanzapine calms thoughts so when stopping or reducing the opposite happens. It is a heavy sedative so your body is over stimulated as it adjusts.

Report Reply
    • Posted

that makes sense.i wish there was something i could take to calm the anxiety down.its a heightened state and i have no idea when it will go down.im taking vitamins,omega 3 ,vitamin d but nothing seems to be helping much

Report Reply
    • Posted

how long did yours last ?ive had this 3 days now.i went to the doctor but he wont give any more meds.im lost as to what i can do to feel calm

Report Reply
    • Posted

how long did yours last ?ive had this 3 days now.i went to the doctor but he wont give any more meds.im lost as to what i can do to feel calm

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was on 2.5mg for 5 months including 2 month tapering with liquid so a different situation to you. Lower dose for less time with taper. It came and went. By about 3 months i felt better but i had good days before that. I am on other meds as well.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive booked to see a homeopath this sat.wonder if she can help me.she has treated people with anxiety before so im hopeful it will help.i also have cbt therapy once every two weeks but that doesn't seem to be doing much. have u tried meditation ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Try breathing excercises to start. In for 4, hold for 7 then slow breathe out for 7. In through mouth out through nose.

Report Reply
    • Posted

im feeling like an emotional mess with various thoughts running through my mind causing anxiety and worry. dont know what to do about them.i'll try the breathing exercises

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.been having feeling of fear that i cant do my job.feel scared of new stuff at work even though before this condition i was doing fine.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Probably best. Try and rest and not get too caught up in your anxiety. It is easy when we have time on our hands to let the anxiety take hold. It is withdrawals but it may take some time to resolve so re group.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive got this fear that i cant face work.not sure what to do with that feeling.im feeling stuck in this mental state

Report Reply
    • Posted

ive changed teams at work and theres a lot of new stuff to pick up.thing is ive changed teams before and picked up new stuff without issue but now with this condition its making me feel overwhelmed

Report Reply
    • Ash1234

Posted

plus the withdrawal symptoms arent making it easy to deal with the change in teams.

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Sarah. at times i feel like im going to go crazy.this withdrawal has nasty effects on the mind. i used to love learning new stuff but now i get overwhelmed which is v odd feeling for me . thankyou for your support Sarah. its really helpful

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah.

doc reduced my olanzapine from 5 to 2.5 mg.im feeling heightened anxiety to the point where i start sweating on my head. is this just the withdrawal symptoms im going through ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

i was feeling better before this but seems to be a heightened state of anxiety now.even thinking about work causes anxiety. i have a phone interview next week and im getting really anxious about it.normally i would not be so anxious

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. woke up today with feelings of confusion. i think its the withdrawal symptoms of olanzapine. did you feel confusion too ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

did you have feelings of confusion when coming off olanzapine ? its a nasty medication. im only on 2.5 mg now.maybe doc should have reduced me more slowly.ill bear with this for a while.hope it eases off.

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Sarah. its like confusion with a mild headache. its a clear day here today.go out for a walk hopefully will help a bit.

Report Reply
    • Posted

You will do. They quieten your mind and thoughts so reduce them the opposite happens. When did you drop to 2.5 ? Are you sleeping ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

doc reduced me to 2.5 mg two weeks ago. last time when they reduced it from 10 to 5 it took around two weeks before i started having withdrawal symptoms. now its two weeks since i dropped to 2.5 and the withdrawal symptoms have started again. sleep is fine as im still taking 2.5 at night.

Report Reply
    • Posted

will this settle down ? the anxiety due to the reduction in meds. is there anything i can take that will calm down the

Report Reply
    • Posted

feeling low in mood due to the withdrawal.making me feel nausea.seem to be having negative thoughts.did you feel this too ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

sorry been having technical difficulties

you know the withdrawal from drop to 5mg inproved. so will this. it will take time again.

all your symptoms are normal but unpleasant.

Report Reply
    • Posted

how did you feel when you totally stopped olanzapine ? some people say they dont feel normal at all. im hoping i can come off this medicine.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im having heart problems.going to a&e.yesterday started feeling out of breath in the gym. did u have heart problems too?

Report Reply
    • Posted

they did ecg and that was normal. they doing blood tests now.i think the root cause is having negative thoughts.any ideas on how to deal with that ? i dont know if the withdrawal symptoms from olanzapine are causing it. did you get negative thoughts too ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

i did. i suspect it is anxiety causing the heart problems. the only way through withdrawals is to just deal with each day and remember it is withdrawal. are you still on sertraline ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

yes.still on setraline but i dont feel like its doing much.the olanzapine withdrawal symptoms are nasty causing severe anxiety which then causes heart and stomach issues. ill remember what you said that its all withdrawal symptoms.

Report Reply
    • Posted

feel quite low sometimes.down in the dumps feeling. cant seem to feel positive or feel any pleasure. how can i combat this ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

the sertlaline will not override the olanzapine withdrawal. nothing will

try to stay busy and distract yourself. remember thoughts are just that they are not reality. your view of reality is not to be trusted right now. your mind is trying to cope with less olanzapine. try to meditate and clear your mind just watch the thoughts as they come but don t believe them. it will pass.

Report Reply
    • Posted

it feels like the front of the head is over active and this feeling of stress even when im not worrying about much. is this withdrawal symptoms too ? mind feels overactive when before i used to feel calm all day when i was taking the full dose of olanzapine

Report Reply
    • Posted

it feels like being in constant stress due to overthinking. the mind is definitely more active then when i was on the full dose of olanzipine

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi Sarah. im feeling a bit funny in the head. the old symptoms cant come back can they ? is it just withdrawal symptoms im feeling as im just on 2.5mg now. thanks.

Report Reply
    • Posted

is it just my brain trying to adjust to less olanzapine that i feel funny ? the old symptoms cant come back can they as i didnt withdraw quickly.

Report Reply
    • Ash1234

Posted

been to the doctor today and he said they definitely wont come back .he meant the symptoms.that is reassuring. ive got 2.5 mg to get off now.doc said give it a month then we will reduce it. how do you feel with no olanzapine at all now ? how long did the withdrawal last once you came off it totally ?

Report Reply
    • Posted

beenreading articles saying antipsychotic causes brain shrinkage but doesnt say over what time frame . this is slightly worrying . i really hope i can reduce the last of the 2.5mg and get over the withdrawal symptoms

Report Reply
    • Posted

for me the hardest bit was 5 to 8 weeks after discontonuing it. then i started to feel better but i am on other meds so that may have helped.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.