Abscess

Posted , 4 users are following.

Very swollen in jaw hard ball close to my throat on antibiotics over 48 still no change is this normal or should I go to ER

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Swollen area of the upper or lower jaw is a very serious symptom of severe toothache. Collection of pus and tissue swelling within the tooth can cause a painful toothache. Jaw swelling may occur for many reasons that lead to accumulation of fluid in the skin above the jaws or inflammation of the jaws. Jaw pain can also result from salivary gland infection; can result from reduced saliva flow or the blockage or inflammation of a salivary duct. My guess is it could be a dental infection that started in your tooth and has spread from the pulp of the tooth into the jaw bone. Antibiotics only help to keep infection from spreading and to reduce swelling but it does not solve the underlying dental problem. Consult with your doctor to start appropriate treatment at earliest.
  • Posted

I had a tooth ache on Wednesday last week then by Friday my face is swollen and my jaw hurts. I tried some natural therapies such as, teabag poltice, garlic and goldenseal, swelling went down but pain in jaw and tooth continue. I'm headed to the urgent clinic in am to get some antibiotics and then try to fined a new dentist as my died some years ago and I've not seen one since.  So I can surely understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.