abscess agony HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone help

I started with a niggling pain in my upper rear molar about 4 days ago.

After the 1st day the niggle became the worst pain I have ever experienced, I rang my dentist on the 2nd day only to be told he's gone on holiday(fantastic timing eh) so I don't have an appointment untill next thurs. In the meantime I've managed to empty my medicine cabinet, buy boots out of clove oil and drink enough salt water to fill swimming pool, on top of no sleep or food since day 2. I tried the emergency dentist number( they were helpful........NOT) who just told me to take painkillers till my appointment. It's now 2:30am on day 4 and the pain is unbearable, I,ve even considered a bit of home dentistry in the hopes of lightening the pain. PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HELP :cry:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear - you do sound in a bad way.

Is there not another dentist at the practice who could either see you or prescribe the antibiotics that you badly need. There is nothing a dentist can actually do (other than give antibiotics) until the infection has cleared anyway.

If no luck, try ringing your GPs surgery to see if they can help. I know some GPs will prescribe antibiotics for obvious dental abcessess. You really need to get started on those now.

Keep on with the hot, salt mouthwashes, as hot as you can bear and hold in your mouth for a minute or so. The idea is that hopefully the pus will be encouraged to come to the surface of the gum and eventually be released.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi there

Yes you really need antibiotics asap. I got 2 sachets directly from my dentist as my abscess was so bad. I had 2 sachets of 3g amoxicillan and within hours I was starting to feel better although I had a very swollen face. I also had metronidazole 3 x 400mg tablets a day. Still taking them - day 6. I suggest the emergency dentist out of hours gets this for you as rightly so unless the abscess comes to a head he cant lance the gum. my dentist couldnt drill into tooth as the root was already out and filled out so no point. The pain will subside keep taking painkillers and hope you feel better soon! I know how you feel!

• Posted

thanks for your help

I spoke to my dentist on fri and they said there was no-one could see me,

tried my GP and some snotty receptionist told me they won't deal with dental problems,I even rang 14 other dental surgeries and they all said they weren't seeing new patients it seems no where is willing to help! it's now 2.30 monday morning and yet again i can't sleep because of the pain. I HAVE LOST MY FAITH IN THE BRITISH HEALTH SERVICE

• Posted

Hi there

Thats mental !!!! Unless you go to the dentist in person and insist on someone seeing you, begging is good.. even if they can diagnose an abscess you might get someone to prescribe antibiotics.. Other than that everyone gets on and you are still in pain... I looked at some of the other experiences and one was about pain management so perhaps a painkiller then paracetemol 2 hrs later and so on so at least the pain might dull for longer. Hope you get sorted out soon!!

Good Luck!

• Posted

Your dental practice needs to review their policies. :evil:It's crazy that they cannot prescribe you vital antibiotics when you are a patient on their books. What the heck are they playing at, particularly as it now seems that so many GP surgeries are no longer prescribing them.

I can't believe that they have allowed you to go all this time in absolute agony. Untreated abcessess can be dangerous for heaven's sake. I do hope by now you have managed to see someone.

• Posted

I have just reread your first posting and see that you haven't got an appointment until Thursday - this is crazy. If it were me I would take myself to the surgery first thing tomorrow and refuse to budge from the waiting room until another dentist writes out a prescription.:evil:

As the other Katy says, you can alternate paracetamol and ibruprofen 2 hourly, but be sure not to exceed the daily dose for both. Paracetamol particularly can cause severe liver damage if you do.

I do hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

I recently had an abscess on a lower right tooth, right at the back and tried making an emergency appointment at our dentist in southampton just to be told: \"come back in a week\", so I know how you feel.

I only had to wait 4 days for an appointment but then I was given painkillers and antibiotics. The tooth had to be extracted 9 days later, after the abscess had cleared up.

The little lifesaver I found was called OraJel which worked wonders for my tooth ache. It didnt completely stop the pain, but it was a lot more managable!

[color=orange:e554af4084]Patient UK comment: we have removed a url as it is policy not to display links unless relevant to the post or thread.[/color:e554af4084]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.