Abscess surgery and holiday in 2 days

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! So I had an abscess on my inner thigh and it was operated on and packed on the 30th of May. On the 4th of June I’m meant to be going to Thailand to stay with my boyfriends family in Bangkok but I need my wound dressed and packed every other day until it begins to heal more. My boyfriend lives in a very clean house and his mum has agreed that they will take me to a hospital/clinic in Bangkok to get it done every other day and we don’t plan to swim etc just chill there for six weeks. I also have a summary of what the nurses/doctors did/how they’ve dressed it too to show the hospital in Bangkok. I know it’ll take about 4 weeks for my wound to heal according to the nurse. I asked her about going and she said that she would prefer it if I could stay an extra week and then go but I paid so much money for my flights and can’t change them. I do have travel insurance from before it happened so I suppose I could reclaim some money back for them but I’m just curious, do you think it’s possible that I could go or is it too dangerous? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also I’m aware of dvt risks so have the socks and aspirin etc.. 
  • Posted

Hi Chelsie

If I am you I would stay home for some time. Have you thought of flight? Would you be able to sit properly, wolud it hurt, would it get infected? It is far more serious than what you think. 

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Bianca, thank you for replying!

I’ve started taking aspirin and have flight socks and will move about a lot on the plane and I think the packing should help to prevent infection but I will ask the nurse tomorrow one last time and see what she says I think! Thank you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.