Absence at work from PE.....resign or dismissal

Posted , 9 users are following.

Guys I need your advice! 

So started a new job/career training to be a pharmacist which involves a 3 month probation! Now I was 2 weeks away from completing my probation when I was diagnosed with PE. My contract states if there’s 2 absences in my probation then it will result in a dismissal! I had a meeting with my super supportive boss today and she’s pretty much said it doesn’t look good for me (this is in head office’s hands) however she’s spoken to my area manager and I’m blown away.....she’s vouched for me to the big boss saying I’m great, bla bla bla and long story short she said if I were to resign, when I’m well enough I could reapply for a job, phone my boss and she’ll pretty much make me walk back into a job! But what’s someone’s word eh? It’s not concrete or guaranteed! But I can’t risk a dismissal on my employment records as I’m SSSC registrated and a PVG member! But either option I’m screwed financially as I’m not entitled to any benefits!! What the hell am I going to do!! I’m pacing floors stressing about this!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It sounds nice, but I don't know how many times I've been stabbed in the back during my work career.

• Posted

Me too! Hence my stress and much needed advice!! 
  • Posted

Have you missed work? Once I was diagnosed and on medication I never missed another day. There were iffy days but I went to work. Is it possible to stick it out those 2 weeks?
    • Posted

I was admitted to hospital and my I was signed off work for 2 weeks. Went back to work on amended duties and was fine for 2 weeks, however a cover manager was in and didn’t adhere to my amended duties but made a point in saying ‘if you need to sit down do so’ but I got dizzy and breathless and he sent me home. I went straight to the doctors and she signed me off again for 3 weeks. I love my job and I can work but just not the physical side to it! My boss is reassuring me constantly not to worry and that I’m a huge asset to the company but it’s in  head office’s hands now! 
  • Posted

I personally would not resign, if I was told and believed everything this lady says I would expect them to support me through a serious condition, as I was such an asset. Obviously, this is only a decsion you can make.
    • Posted

At first I was swaying towards resigning but my partner disagrees too  but I’m really scared to go for this disciplinary and get sacked! Or if they do take sympathy on me and extend my probation it will be on my record for a year and who’s to  say I won’t be off again with this condition!! Due to the nature of my work staff get moved around a lot and unfortunately my boss is leaving my current store so I don’t know who my next boss will be or how empathetic they will be either! Or do I resign, get better and hope my boss sticks to her word?!! This is my dream job that I’ve worked so hard to get! 
    • Posted

Hi there, personally I would not resign, but would get everything in writing.  But ultimately the decision is up to you.  How long has is been since you were diagnosed and started on treatment?  What does your GP say about your progress, does he think you are out of the woods?  All the best in whatever decision you make.
  • Posted

With you saying this is your dream job, I would go on faith and stick it out.
  • Posted

Jenny it is ridiculous that you working in the pharmaceutical field would not be working under people with more empathy and understanding of how scary

PEs are and what it does to your health and how you have to take care of yourself. I do not have any experience with what you're going through as I have always worked for myself but this really makes me mad!

• Posted

I wouldn't resign, if I were you. Words are just words and unless you have a promise in writing, it means nothing. Sounds like the rule of "dismissal after two absences" during probation is unreasonable for someone dealing with a medical issue. Are you in the US? it's illegal to fire someone from a job due to an illness. That employee could then file a wrongful termination suit. However, if you're on contract, the rules may be different. Might be good to consult with an employment lawyer and find out your rights before you do anything. Health-wise, it seems the worst is now over and you are on the road to recovery, so the need to be away from work is lessened. 

The most important thing is your health--you need to heal and recover. Do what you can do to resolve the work issue and try not to stress. All will work out for you. Take good care of yourself, and remember, this too shall pass!

• Posted

Spot on, unless it states in the contract "including life threatening illnesses" you are dismissed on the 2 absences rule , if not I would dare say you are covered, but as you say consult a lawyer.

I'm from Australia and under normal employment conditions this action would be illegal, contracts I'm not up to speed with , I would imagine even under a contract it would still be illegal as no one can ever predict when a life threatening condition could strike them down I think the only way this "contract" would stand is if it was worded to include life threatening medical conditions.

• Posted

Hi,

Where I'm from this would be pretty well much classed as an illegal action as a pulmonary embolism can be life threatening and compassion shown, PE's will knock the stuffings out of you but some are able to return to work pretty quickly when on blood thinners and any other medical intervention to clear up the clots rather quickly.

• Posted

I’ve spoken with Citizen’s advice and they have advised me that as I am on probation under contract they can very well dismiss me. However if I attend the formal disciplinary meeting with as much evidence why not to dismiss me then there is a chance are I won’t be dismissed. Also as my absences are for a serious health condition they should and probably will be empathetic to my situation. Spoke with my boss again and she’s wrote a statement about my work performance and I’m delighted with what she’s wrote. She’s made points that I’m always early for shifts, I make our monthly targets and I’ve passed all my exams and that I will become a fantastic pharmacist for boots. So I’m going to go ahead and attend the disciplinary and hope to god that head office sees I’m not ripping the p**s and let me carry out my ambition!! 
    • Posted

I really hope it works out for you jenny, working in the industry they do, they should understand medical issues. I will keep fingers crossed for you. Do you know when the hearing is?
    • Posted

With a ruling like that, I'm guessing you are from the USA ? pretty tough going, glad your boss has written an excellent commendation regarding your work ethics, wishing you  all the very best. I hope it all works out in your favour.

• Posted

Im Going to work 2moro to hand in my other sick line and hopefully i’ll Be able to return on the 20th August! No idea when my hearing will be but i’ll Find out more 2moro Jenny! X
    • Posted

I’m actually from the uk, Scotland Samual but yeah my works probationary periods are very strict! I wouldn’t think that such a massive company would dismiss me but my luck hasn’t been the greatest recently 
    • Posted

Hi jenny,

I have not seen anything from you recently, do you still have your job, have you had your meeting yet?

• Posted

Sorry Jen I’ve not been on my app for a wee while! Well I have a meeting tomorrow at 1:15 and I’m going to try get back to work if they let me haha! I will let you know 2moro night how I get on! Xx
    • Posted

Hey Jen! Had my review at work today and I’m going back on Monday!! However I will need to attend a disciplinary meeting which they will send me an invite by post with a date! They will try for dismissal but my boss seems confident i’ll Be ok xx
    • Posted

Well jenny they make it sound like a party sending an invite!!!! Loads of luck for when it happens.
    • Posted

Thank you! Fingers crossed! And thank you for your support xx
    • Posted

Hey Jen! Completed my first week at work (exhausted is an understatement) but I have news!! 

My boss fought with HR and the outcome.....I have a 3 week extension on my probation with NO disciplinary!! So I keep my job (aslong as I have no further absences and pass my exams) what a win!!!!! Super super relieved!!!!! 

• Posted

Congratulations. I am really pleased for you jenny. Take it easy and try not to worry about blood clots. I hope you pass all your exams and have a great career.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.