Absolutely Depressed.. Can't Go On Like This

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

My first post on this website started around 3 months ago when i first choked on some naan bread. Ever since then i have continually had food being stuck in my throat near my adams apple. its like each time i eat something it just sits there and i have flash backs to the time when i choked on naan bread. i have been to my GP had an ENT looked down my throat and they see nothing. This was then followed up with an endoscopy which again found nothing. i have about 2 and half stones of weight due to not eating enough or barely eating. i have now been reffered to the ENT again. as i write this i am struggling and depressed i just want to eat normal and be normal.

My background

26 male

Acid reflux 4 years plus.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted

    hi , i am not a dr but i can tell you i had the same experience and the drs are not doing the test that needs to be done. you need a esophegeal manometry test! that will show your contractions as you swallow and any sphyncter issues . they found that i have a rare issue called nut cracker esophegus and spasmatic sphyncter. i had to get a heller myotomy which has helped . i also had other issues so had a few surgeries at once . please have dr get your swallowing checked and that should show the problem . i pray it goes well . i know that feeling . keep me posted, GINNY , good luck

  • Posted

    Have you tired eating soup and other liquid nutrition?

    These disorders can indeed be very depressing, but you do need to find a way to keep up your nutrition levels.

    I have knowledge really only of people whose food tends to get stuck around their diaphragm, where achalasia is sometimes the problem.It is feasible that there could be problems higher up in the oesophagus, in which case endoscopy, barium swallow and high resolution manometry would be the tests involved.

    I would not rule out some form of relaxation therapy, just in case that can help.

  • Posted

    I agree with what others have said. ENT doctors aren't able to diagnose achalasia. You need to see a gastroenterologist and ask them to check you for achalasia or anything else that explains your trouble swallowing and your weight loss.

  • Posted

    The other thing to think about is that long term reflux is not good for your health, and you should be trying to get checked out for underlying causes. This may be something for a gastroenterologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.