Absolutely fed up of my health anxiety... Help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got diagnosed with anxiety in May this year. It has got significantly better due to medication and I now no longer need it. However, the health anxiety/hypochondria side of things is returning. Every day I spend at least an hour googling illnesses convincing myself I've got a serious injury. If I've got a headache - a brain tumour. Periods - cervical cancer. You get the idea. Anyway I just wondered if there's anyone else that suffers this as bad as me and what I can do. A big one I'm worried about lately is HIV. I know some people think this is funny but I really don't know how to manage it and I'm making myself ill worrying all the time. I'm so worried I might actually have one of these diseases yet I'm too scared to go to the doctor. It's a vicious cycle and it's making me miserable!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I know the feeling , its awful, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

Are you still on meds? Have you spoken to your Dr about this? Imn4 weeks into medication and 2 months waiting for CBT, have you been offered any type of therapy ?

• Posted

I don't even know what to do anymore I'm constantly needing reassurance and looking for it but that only makes it worse! I'm off the meds now and for a while I was completely fine. Stress levels never help and I think that's having an impact. I haven't been offered therapy only counselling which doesn't help. How're you getting CBT? I really want it x
  • Posted

My dear!

I am exactly the same! I constantly fear that I'm going to die suddenly from a random accident or illness / disease. I can a pain in my neck and I think it's any aneurism and I'm going to die and that no one can save me.

• Posted

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. It's always in the back of my mind and I'm worrying that if its not me it'll be a family member. I have a conscience constantly I daren't even say anything because I always expect something bad to happen... It's awful!
  • Posted

My latest thing is that when I eat that maybe I am inhaling food and it is going into my lung and I'm going to suffocate in my sleep. I had the AIDS thing too, I go and get blood tests every few months to put my mind at ease. My advice is to NOT GOOGLE.. I have a slight pain and weird feeling and straight away I google symptoms and that only makes me want to go to the hospital because I think it's a sign that I'm dying.

• Posted

The reason you were feeling better is because the Medication was obviously working for you. One of the biggest mistakes people make is when they start to feel better they stop taking their meds. BIG MISTAKE. If you were better on the meds then you obviously need them. There is no shame in having to take medication for the rest of your life if needed.
  • Posted

Hey. Its first time in my life im answering someone, because I have had all 100% same symptoms. Yes its totally anxiety. When i started to google sypmtoms, it was worst thing ever. It makes anxiety more worse. What I was thinking after google: Headache - Maybe vein got broken and blood is running out and soon im gonna faint, tingling or numbness on left side neck or hand - stroke, heart pounding and some fast stabbing pain - heart attack. Stopped checking for symptoms 3 months ago and probably stopped worrying about any bad disease because i forgot about it smile I know its really hard to stop it.. I stopped after I had many tests from doctors then i understood its really anxiety and lets just live and enjoy our short life. Dont give up for this. Just stop google and try to think less about your health. I prommise it will be better! Btw I got some weeks ago again some axniety and etc, started to google some symptoms again, made it worse again then i stopped them again and im okay again. Best luck to you smile
    • Posted

Thankyou... Your comment really helped. I do tell myself to stop thinking about it and life's too short. When I'm getting on with normal activities I'm alright it's just when I'm alone and doing nothing I start thinking about it, then I'll stay up the full night worrying. Thankyou for your help, good to know I'm not alone.
    • Posted

Yes, exactly. When you are doing something, everything is fine. Most of my anxiety times was when I was going to shop or I know today I need to go there and there what takes 2-3hours and im thinking how im gonna survive this oh god.. Almost always panic in bus, sometimes go out from bus even before my destination place.. Its funny to remember now, but when actually that was happening, it was most horrible thing in my life. Believe me, you gonna be okay wink))) If you dont have boyfriend/husband. Get one, because when I got girlfriend, probably I lost my all anxiety. If you want to talk just write me. smile
    • Posted

I had an attack once when I was about to take a 7 minute ferry ride across the river. I knew it was in my head. But I could not make myself get on the ferry. So I ended up driving and meeting my group on the other side. I don't seem to do well in public transportation. So I get how you feel about the bus.
  • Posted

Hi, but wht gets to me is, I search on the internet about my symptoms and they match that something is wrong, my case, heart problem, yet my chest issues have been going on for a minimum of 3 years Drs just say its anxiety, but why do they match symptoms that may be something serious? Then I wonder, if something really is wrong with my heart wouldnt a heart attack have happened by now? like I say its been at least 3 years that I have had chest discomfort, I just dont know what to think

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.