Posted , 8 users are following.
I thought this would be a good topic to start, as there's been some discussion about it as of late.
Let's keep it on topic.
The classic approach of Abstinence only to address Alcohol Use Disorder has a 4 year success rate of 10%, per NIAAA stats. Worldwide, people continue to die at the rate of 1 every ten seconds from alcohol related causes, yet those with AUD are told to "just quit drinking". While 10% is a lot of people that won't be drinking themselves to death and causing massive collateral damage along the way, it seems there is considerable room for improvement.
Medication Assisted Treatment seeks to end the compulsion and craving experiened by the remaining 90% that cannot seem to adhere to a life of abstinence through willpower and social support alone.
While I think that abstinence is a good answer for that 10% of the poplulation, if that answer does not adequately serve the remaining 90%, we will have to ask a different question.
5 likes, 16 replies