Acapella versus Flutter??

Posted , 10 users are following.

Recently diagnosed in May with Bronchiectasis and having problems clearing my lungs.  I have doing all the exercises, huffing, coughing resulting in a headache and tiredness with still very little gunge! My breathing has been worse in the last few days (could be humidity/pollen issues too?) especially at night.  I am on long 9 week waiting list for physio  so want to do more to help myself. I have researched above devices and don't know which one to buy?? Any advice would be welcome, thank you. 

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Trish

I've used both the flutter and acapella. They both work for me but this is my personal advice on both:

The flutter, you have to sit upright to use this. I found that the flutter vibrates better inside. It's smaller, so easier to carry about.

The acapella, can be used sitting up or lying down, which I find better. There are more parts to it so doesn't last as long as once something cracks or breaks it has to be replaced. There again, it should be replaced every six months according to the leaflet that comes with it, but I had my first one for over two years. Don't know if that is good or bad but until it cracked it worked just as well from start to finish.

• Posted

Hi Dancing Queen,

Thanks so much for your speedy reply and info on both devices,  think I will probably go with the acapella to start with in the hope it shifts stuff on my lungs. How often do you use the devices in a day?  I am trying to get into a routine with this condition and life was so much easier when I didn't have it lol! My family and friends can't really understand what's going on as I look the same and they are finding it difficult to get their heads round the fact I get tired easily.  I really don't know what I would do without the kind and helpful people on this site . . .  thank you so much and best wishes to you all.    

• Posted

Oh Trish, I do sympathise with you. You're so right about people not understanding because you look "OK". Some days are dreadful and even now after 40 years of it people think I'm being lazy just sitting around.

Anyway, I used to use the Acapella once a day, but my symptoms are worse now so I use it twice a day. However, you can use it as many times as you like. There are no bad side effects at all, it only makes you feel able to breathe more easily as it clears your chest. I find that using mine before eating helps too.

• Posted

Bless you dancing queen, 40 years of this condition, no wonder you are so tired and need a sit down!  I have decided that I can't worry what people think as they have no idea how bronchiectasis knocks you for six.

I will look to buying the acapella in the hope that it makes my old lungs work a little better!

Mind you, on the days I look "ok" its the day I have probably spread the "polyfilla" on my face a little thicker than normal to fill in the cracks lol!

Got to keep a sense of humour ..... hope you are having a better day today

• Posted

Ha ha, that has really made me laugh. Yup, my polyfilla is always at hand too. I try not to feel sorry for myself and most of the time it works. I still manage my dancing (hence my nickname, my actual name being Anne). I just sit down more now. I think dancing has been my saviour though. It is only the odd occasion I can't go dancing, so I count my blessings.

Have a lovely weekend and keep positive.

• Posted

I wondered about your nick name .... I did take up salsa dancing many years ago, (I wasnt very good) ... my goodness it kept me fit! There is no way I could do it now, just the thought of it makes me tired! 

Its good you keep dancing when you can as its something you obviously enjoy.

All the best to you Anne, I expect we will chat again on this site.

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean about family understanding why you can't walk as fast as they can.  My daughter is a marathon runner and she can't understand how bad breathing makes you tired!  The rest of them think I'm just getting old !  As you say this forum is a lifeline.  In fact sometimes you can realise that there are people worse off than yourself.
  • Posted

Hello Trish

so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You are absolutely right to make a positive effort into self help. That is the only way to stay as clear of infections as possible. 

I have only used Acapella. It's a good device, but needs to be cleaned very thoroughly after every use. You'll need to adjust the resistance of the machine once you get used to it.

good luck and stay well.

• Posted

Hi Sparkright,

Thanks for replying.  I was a little worried that the acapella would get full of germs?  Do you use washing up liquid to clean?

I seem to spend all my time now avoiding people coughing and spluttering, bless them!  Also my favourite thing at the moment is hand gel which I plaster on at every opportunity ...... what am I turning into lol!!! Its lovely to chat on this site with people going thro the same or similiar issues, so thank you.

• Posted

Hello Trish

I also think that whatever device you use for clearance will get loaded with germs! I first clean it with a little dish washing liquid (a few drops in warm water). The, about 15min bath in baby bottle sterilising solution  That seems to do the trick!

Absolutely, I'm with you regarding hand gels and avoiding people who cough and splutter!

I am also OTT with hygiene - once a week, all furniture in the bedroom gets a wipe down with anti-bacterial apray.  It's probably doing nothing, but at least I feel I am doing my bit to obliterate any germs.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello again,

Thanks for info about cleaning the acapella device very useful advice, thanks.

Funny you should mention antibacterial spray, bought a bottle today and nothing will be safe!   Seriously, I am a little paranoid about germs now and thought perhaps I should be like the queen and wear white cotton gloves when I go out ...... probably a little over the top lol.

Thank you again

• Posted

Hi Trish

I read somewhere that to help mucus become thinner therby easier to expel, drink loads of water  It works for me.  Although the more I read on this forum it seems that although we are all suffering from the same disease, each person has different symptoms  and different ways of dealing with it.  I live in London and the air is bad anyway but the humidty makes my brearhing more difficult.  Good luck you will find your own way of dealing withthis disease, stay posistie.

• Posted

Hi Marion,

Yes I too have heard that drinking water, lots of it, helps.  I have never drunk a lot of water and find it difficult to get excited about "another glass of water"!  I really must try as it might help me.  It must be difficult for you in London and I too find humidity makes my breathing bad.  I live in the country, which is great, but our lovely farmers enjoy spraying their fields with goodness knows what every week which wafts across into my garden . . .  then its a frantic rush (well, not frantic, more a slow walk!) to shut my windows to keep the spray out of the house.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and I will try and stay positive, all the best to you. 

• Posted

I know what you mean about a glass of water.  I leave a litre of evian water in the sitting room so I have a couple of glugs of water evey now and then.  personally I cannot drink more than 1 litre a day.  I f you have to think of getting a glass you dont do it. Every little bit helps !
    • Posted

Thats a good idea about the litre of water and taking glugs out of it!  I stupidly bought a 2 litre bottle of water, plonked it on the table,  and drunk very little of it, basically found the amount of water too scary!  You are also right about a glass of water, too much effort to get another glass when it was empty!  All very naughty of me. Memo to self ...... must try harder!
    • Posted

seeing a 2 litre bottle would put me off too  but a litre size disappears quite

quickly  good luck with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.