Acceptable Symfony result?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had Symfony IOL's implanted 4 months ago. 

In the marketing literature, they show people using their smartphones and lead a person to expect near vision results to match that. Numbers-wise they advertise 20/25 or better through 26 inches.

In my one eye which was -6.0 with .-0.75 astigmatism preop, I now have 20/20 at distance (but barely as it's fuzzy) and the doctor says I am plano, but I CANNOT see a Smartphone well enough to use even held at arm's length.

The doctor says I have an excellent outcome and suggests a YAG to 'crisp' things up (I'm not convinced it would help as I have no cloudiness at all)

So, my question is, should I accept this result? I'm thinking that for the high cost I should get a better result than this considering the advertising shows people using Smartphones?

PS> my other eye is is a bit better as I can see as close as about 20 inches to use the Smartphone before it gets too fuzzy, although I must admit I was expecting better.

Thanks for any thoughts

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also observed that with both eyes focused the same for near together can read smaller text than one eye alone at the same correction.  But that would only be possible without glasses with Symfony IOLs in both eyes.

In my case the best I can look forward to is if I get one Symfony eye to go with my existing distance focus monofocal eye.  I believe that should give me good intermedate/computer vision and distance vision, and perhaps useable casual smartphone vision.  But for longer periods of smartphone use and for reading fine print especially without a reading lamp I would expect to use reading glasses.

For now for me with my left eye still needed a lot of distance vision correction due to 2D astigmatism, progressive eyeglasses are the best option for overall use to get good distance vision along with good near vision for smartphone use and reading even fine print.  But for computer use I switch to a fixed intermediate focus pair of glasses since progressives have too narrow a view for intermediate focus.

• Posted

Logan72575

Just wondering as your original post didn’t indicate - did you have this procedure due to cataracts affecting your eyesight  whereby  vision could no longer be corrected with glasses or contact lenses or as a clear lens exchange (often referred by lasik clinics where I live as PresbyVision)?

• Posted

@logan72565, Very sorry to hear how one eye deteriorated from "reading J1 a couple week post-Op" to "more like J7" now. The problem eye is "only possible to read at arms length and not at all clear... just doable."

@Sue.An, both you and my hubby are eyeglasses-free post-Op. But that is not the manufacturer's promise to every one. The experts' general consensus is: "those who likes playing golf, doesn’t read that much and doesn’t mind the possibility of occasional glasses would be very happy with a Symfony or Mplus lens. A bookworm who loves reading or someone who loves sewing would probably prefer a trifocal lens."

Not surprisingly, Dr Pascal Rozot's case study on Zeiss atLARA ended with this statement:  "the patient was counseled that she might need to use glasses when reading up close, particularly for a long period of time."

• Posted

I will have to find a review I read comparing Symfony Restor and monofocal but if I remember correctly 85% of those with Symfony lenses indicated they wear glasses none to rarely do although not guaranteed / a large percentage of people can read without classes.  Will find that study and post.

The greater consideration is night time halos specifically the concentric circles.

You have to remember that majority of posters here post first time after surgery and have a question or concern not to say how great their vision is.   There are a few of us (me included) that stumbled upon this site doing research after devastating news we have cataracts and so I have found that they are posting good things about their surgery.  I can think of 4 of us in that situation and all are pleased with results - excluding your husband who is obviously pleased with his results too with Symfony.

• Posted

Am finding it tough to gently approach this delicate subject. There are quite a few members with poor post-Op near-vision at first, but later improved or went for laser PRK.  Read them at the other discussion by  "WebDev" entitled "near vision poor after getting Symfony...seeking others' experience" (391 replies). This place is better than an encyclopedia.

• Posted

Yes have read that thread and do note many needed time to heal before getting better results or ‘tweaking’ to get better nearer results.  Have to wonder though if not due to reasons such as toric Symfony Lens rotating and better to have lasik than another surgery to rotate it back or power calculation slightly off.  And if better after lasik or PRK to me says power calculation could be off (either because of pre-surgery measurements or due to where IOL settles as it does shift back and forth for a number of weeks.  

But most of those commenting on that thread did come on the forum after surgery and wanting to comment and seek advice for unpleasant night vision effects &/or not optimal vision results.

I will find that study - I believe the percentage of people not needing reading  glasses at all or rarely with Symfony was about 85% so quite good odds.   If I hadn’t researched at all prior to surgery it is highly unlikely that I would seek out a forum to post my results.   Just human nature I suppose.  And honestly all the research in the world can’t prevent some things that are out of your control or the surgeon’s from happening.

• Posted

Hi Logan  I too have to use readers when reading close on my phone. I can text and receive messages without readers but to sit and read regular things I have to use my readers.  I too am very dissatisfied with the amount ofmoney to use these lenses. I expected a little better then what I got. I’m hoping they continue to get better has they heal a little more but I’m 2 months in on my right eye and 3 weeks on my left. Very frustrated plus the floaters. Also Some days my eyes seem blurrier then others
    • Posted

Hi Frances,

Do a google search for "jaeger-chart" and you should see a result "Jaeger Eye Chart - All About Vision". It 's an eye chart you can print off for near vision testing at 14"

Test each and and then together and let us know what your results are.

What country did you have your lenses done in?

• Posted

Frances has it been 6 weeks since your surgeries?  Sometimes with the toric version of Symfony lenses it rotates during healing process.  This would account for blurry vision but your surgeon should be able to check if lens has rotated.   If it has surgeon can perform surgery to rotate it back but might be simpler to have lasik performed to correct.   If lens is in correct place and it’s been 6 weeks you should have full eye exam to check all has healed well and test vision near and far.  Get a written prescription - that way you will know if there is another reason for why there is blurriness or reading distance not optimal.  Perhaps there is still astigmatism or eyes over corrected.  
    • Posted

Hi sue yes it’s been 2 months and he said everything looked great. Everyday it’s something different. Reading without readers is a big problem for me it makes me angry as I thought it would be a little better then it is.   Sometimes it feels like there is something in my eye mostly my right eye my left doesn’t  seem to bother me as much. That eye was done 5 weeks ago 
    • Posted

Hi frances75444, agree with all the well-meaning suggestions to be patient as each person is different in neural adaptation to the newly implanted lenses.  Does anyone know, when is the best time to follow-up with a laser (PRK) enhancement after a cataract surgery? Four months later? Six months later? Or a year later?
    • Posted

Surgeons general just let you know it is great (unless there is something about the healing) that isn’t on track/normal.  They test your vision but don’t hand you an exact prescription (mine didn’t).  So I can’t stress enough that a visit to your optometrist to get a written prescription would be beneficial.  Even if to confirm all is great.   It will also provide a baseline for your regular future visits to check vision against.
    • Posted

I believe you can have it done after 3 months.  I would think your eye would have to be completely healed from cataract surgery.  So if you had a prolonged healing that timing may be longer.  Surgeon should be able to confirm that for you.
    • Posted

Oh okay I will call them AGAIN tomorrow I call them all the time I’m sure they are not happy with me. But I don’t care thank you Sue 
    • Posted

I'm behind in reading this forum. Very happy to see the link to file a complaint. Thanks andi77. I plan on using it.

• Posted

Thanks andi. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised to see so many complaints.  It helps to feel that I'm not alone ... especially after hearing my local doctor tell me that nobody else has complained about these lenses but me. (I'm not sure if I should laugh at that last comment or not). If I come across as overly negative, I don't mean to be. I feel like I'm trying to find answers to so many things that are unknown or not understood or not explained thoroughly. This forum is a great resource/tool.

• Posted

He said "nobody" else complained? Maybe a lot of people don't end up complaining because they're afraid of a lens exchange, so they just accept it the way it is.

• Posted

Yup, that's what he said. It does make me wonder if I'm overreacting. (But it was also his suggestion to cancel the surgery on the 2nd eye and give it "a few months" to see if I adapt before going ahead with the 2nd Symfony lens.) 

• Posted

On the Maude complaint database I forgot to add that you have to click on each individual link in the center column where it says "Brand Name" to read the complaints. I thought it was obvious but I see some people don't realize you have to do that to read the complaints. Here's the link again (copy and paste and remove spaces) - search for Symfony and change to ALL YEARS and 500 records per report page www . accessdata . fda. gov / scripts / cdrh / cfdocs / cfmaude/ TextSearch . cfm

• Posted

Also, I forgot to mention that IOL manufacturers are mandatory reporters (doctors and patients that file complaints are not mandatory reporters), so it looks like most of the Symfony complaints were filed by Johnson & Johnson (or Abbott before Johnson & Johnson bought Abbott) after doctors (and sometimes patients) filed complaints with either Abbott or Johnson & Johnson. Anyone can also contact Johnson & Johnson directly to file a complaint (do a search online for their contact info) that Johnson & Johnson is then required by law to report to the FDA.

• Posted

Also for anyone who doesn't already know this, the official brochure for the Symfony lens says the following (copy and paste link and remove spaces and read it under the section "Warnings" - there are the same warnings for the Symfony toric IOL except it also warns about how the lens can rotate in the eye):

surgical . jnjvision . com / us / iols / extended-depth-of-focus / tecnis-symfony

surgical . jnjvision . com / us / iols / extended-depth-of-focus / tecnis-symfony-toric

"TECNIS Symfony® IOL may cause a reduction in contrast sensitivity compared to a monofocal IOL, patients implanted with the lens should be informed to exercise special caution when driving at night or in poor visibility conditions. Some visual effects associated with the TECNIS Symfony® IOL may be expected due to the lens design that delivers elongation of focus. These may include a perception of halos, glare, or starbursts around lights under nighttime conditions. The experience of these phenomena will be bothersome or very bothersome in some people, particularly in low-illumination conditions."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.