ACCEPTANCE

Posted , 7 users are following.

There appears to be a growing number of posts concerning those who cannot believe tests results, no matter how many times they are performed, and are convinced they are suffering from some fatal disease

Added to this there is a constant  home monitoring of heart/pulse rate and the measuring of  blood pressure

This is truly disturbing and unhealthy to say the least. Sad too

Disbelief entrenches the symptoms of Anxiety Disorder and the sufferer is held fast in the anxiety/fear/panic cycle

Milton said it best in Paradise Lost

" THE MIND IS IT'S OWN PLACE, AND IN ITSELF CAN MAKE A HEAVEN HELL, A HELL OF HEAVEN "

Apart from emotionally/physically draining, repeated tests also drain the resources of the Health System.

Constant home monitoring of bodily functions can become obsessional and worse still are guaranteed to give high readings because the sufferer is in a state of agitation when performing them,ie, hoping for good results

Blood pressure/heartbeat/pulse fluctuate dependant upon what we are doing at the time and our state of mind

From personal experience I can state catergorically that acceptance of Anxiety/Panic Disorder, dealing with that and that alone, putting aside negativity and doubts, is the way out of it

Your self-help methods, the support of the Forum members, are the tools you need to deal with and overcome AD/PD. Whereas allowing your imagination to fix upon worst case scenarios will ensure you will never overcome the problem

My heart goes out to all those afraid. Fear is our most unpleasant emotion. I have experienced all that AD/PD can throw at us. I truly understand

Please, please accept the problem for what it is and not for what it isn't, for that which  you fear it might be. Taking control is empowering. Dealing with the problem boosts confidence

I wish each and every one of you the best, and the courage to accept

Helen

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well said Helen. I accepted the palpitations and pulse rates many years ago so one job done.

I don't waste my energy anymore on what if as that makes it far worse.

Thanks for posting. X

• Posted

Thank you for posting Helen,

I am new to anxiety and trying to understand what's going on with my body and trying different coping techniques and hope that I can learn to take control quickly because it is affecting my everyday life.

• Posted

Hi Melissasmile

Hi Melissa smile

I appreciate that AD is frightening. It strikes out of the blue, whether triggered by emotional or physical trauma or a combination of both

Knowledge is power. Learn all you can to help yourself.

Right Breathing Techniques

Distraction Techniques

Right Mind Thinking

Cut down on fizzy drinks, too much sugar, Eat sensible, sitting whilst y eat and chew food thoroughly. You have to nourish the body because AD depletes it rapidly

AD can be exhausting. Don't push yourself to the limits to "show" you are not afraid. That is more destructive. Slow and gently does it

Keep hydrated, this is vital. AD appears to literally suck the fluids out of our body. Try to replace coffee with Chamomile Tea, four cups a day evenly spaced

Make time for "Me" time. An hour a day doing something you enjoy. Soaking in a bath, reading, listening to music. Anything that gives you pleasure

AD ignites adrenalin. It's vital you move about to disperse it. Walking, climbing up and down the stairs several times

Never try to fight the symptoms. This has an adverse affect.

You will get there

Accept

Stay positive

Believe

Best wishes Helen

• Posted

So very true and we'll said! I've done all of the above and did over come it, however now a new problem has taken over. I learned I have to have my appendix removed because they see something that may or may not be a mucocele. The cancer ones are rare but surgeons tell me it's safer to have surgery. New problem! I can't stop reading about this condition or risks of surgery. And if you keep digging you will always find something to heighten anxiety levels. I'm in such a state I'm not sure I can do the surgery.

• Posted

But you have to have the surgery don't you?

Otherwise  not only will you be living with the problem but the fear of that problem worsening

An Appendoctomy is a simple, straightforward procedure. There is nothing there to fear

Anaesthetics are safe, monitured during the op. The op itself is of short duration

Why in the world you would read about surgery risks defies belief. All you are achieving is frightening yourself over an everyday procedure, performed in hospitals all over the world

You have nothing to fear but fear itself

Stop Googling!

Stop thinking of the What If's?

That's no way to live and no way to overcome Anxiety Disorder

Silly girl smile

Hugs

• Posted

OOps, typo errors..sorry!
    • Posted

lol well yes it is silly. This anxiety disorder is a beast to beat and defies all logic.
    • Posted

Sherrie,

back to Right Thinking,,,,you said it yourself. It's about logic smile

• Posted

Thank you. I'm struggling so much between anxiety and depression I can't even enjoy simple things week prior to surgery. I feel like I'm in a bubble and never going to see my family again. I'm dizzy and full of anxiety.

• Posted

The inability to accept reassurance is a manifestation of Anxiety/Panic Disorder It is not a seperate entity

I never said otherwise nor do I underestimate the extreme distress this causes

It is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome, Sherrie. You have dealt with, ie, accepted other symptoms. This one is no different, honey. It might be a whopper but it's just a symptom

All your fears about the op are running around in your head.  You dread facing it. You fear never seeing your family again

Result? A struggle between anxiety and depression, dizzy, anxious, trapped in a bubble...?

Exhausting.

The  cause is not the op you face, it is your own fear.

Everything we suffer comes back to the root cause, Sherrie, Anxiety/ Panic Disorder

You don't need to fear the op, honey, you'll sail through it. please see all that what is happening to you is ignited by your anxiety/fear cycle

You'll be just fine

Hugs Helen

• Posted

It's all part of health anxiety,its not really anything to do with acceptance, thats just what health anxiety is, that's why it's such a distressing part of anxiety

• Posted

I agree on the acceptance. If I could accept it i wouldn't have anxiety rolleyes

• Posted

Being unable to accept reassurance isnt a problem in its own right, it only exists as part of the anxiety, not the other way around. That's why many people go round in circles for years, trying to get continual reassurance which they will never accept because they are focusing on that more than they are about addressing the root cause of the anxiety, it's a viscious circle

• Posted

Isnt that what OCD is when reassurance doesnt do anything. I think it manifest as "health" anxiety. Its all check, check and checking just doing it to the body. Thinking the worst and obssessed. Makes sense under ocd. Logic goes out the window. People wont believe tests, wont take pills, dont believe anyone not even themselves or their own five senses. it is a mental illness.

• Posted

Yes health anxiety is leanings toward ocd thinking, not quite full ocd thankfully but bad enough to keep things going round and round

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.