Accepting is hard

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi so pleased I found this group. I'm a forty nine year old woman who has suffered with alcoholism for about ten years. I have done the twenty eight days in the priory ( Glasgow ) I have really struggled. With the AA ( I have been to meetings ) I have relapse after relapse but for the last three years I have been in anti abuse and it was working but I stopped taking them as I wanted a glass of wine but the guilt was was awful and my husband found out. I didn't realise there was other medications I could try ? I suffer from a lot of mental health issues - eating disorders depression to name a few. My head is a mess as I still have the desire to drink ( I know I can't whilst in anti abuse as I done that and was violently ill ) I just feel so guilty and beating myself up because I picked up that first drink so I'm now one day sober. Any advice non other medications would be great. I just feel so alone at the moment. Even though I'm not

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi lesley08567

Firstly well done for not just finding the group but to actually write about your difficulties. Ten years is a long time so please try not to beat yourself up over having one drink. It will take time as you have to re train your brain .. Everyone is just here for you when you need to chat, no matter what it is or when it is .and you haven't given up .. just stick at it and you will beat this .. Well done again ..

Regards

Dawn

• Posted

Thank you Dawn starting day feeling more positive. I have an appointment with my GP and will mention the other medications that have been mentioned. So pleased I have found this group and will definitely be back. Don't feel alone . I'm having a day off work with my husband . Thanks again

• Posted

Hi lesley

great that you've found this group. You will loads of help and advice here and no-one will judge you. We all know what it's like.

Some people here haven't drunk for ages, some like me still enjoy a drink, others drink with medication. At the end of the day, we're all here because of problems with alcohol.

Antabuse is a very old fashioned drug which I thought wasn't prescribed much these days. Acamprosate (campral) is an anti craving drug unlike Antabuse which just makes you very ill when taken with alcohol. Campral actually stops the craving for alcohol and is taken by people abstaining from alcohol.

Day 1 sober is a good start, as is the fact you've found this group and want to get help. You're suffering from an illness called AUD (alcohol use disorder). Try not to feel guilty and don't keep beating yourself up about it. You've had a blip, but you've recognised it and are trying to get help.

Tomorrow will be day 2, just take things a day at a time. You don't mention anything about suffering from withdrawal. Don't go cold turkey, if you've been drinking heavily then suddenly stop it can be very dangerous.

You mention depression. Alcohol is a depressant, yes you may get a temporary high, but if you're depressed the alcohol will make the depression worse. Are you on any medication for depression?

Keep posting on here, there's always someone who will try and help you, and more importantly, you'll find you're far from being alone. We all know what it feels like to want a drink, but know that's not the right thing for you.

good luck

• Posted

Thank you and yes I will be back x Start of day two and feeling a lot more positive
  • Posted

There is a myth that Antabuse stops a person wanting to drink by making it a bad experience. Unfortunately it does nothing to combat cravings so the underlying problem still exists. The other thing to know is that Antabuse not only makes a person feel sick, it can kill if you drink with it. I am surprised it is still prescribed while doctors are far more reluctant to prescribe Acamprosate, Naltrexone and Nalmefene which DO work on the source of cravings.
    • Posted

Thanks for that as I have never heard of the other medications?? I am seeing my GP on Wednesday and will mention them to him. And thanks
  • Posted

Great to see you here!! Superb replies from Vicky Lou, Paul and Dawn already. All I can add is to live for today and tomorrow...do NOT blame yourself. Best of luck and YES I do mean it. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.