Accidentally put weight on foot with syndesmosis screw in place

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am 4 weeks post op of a trimalleolar fracture with a plate, 5 screws, 2 pins and 2 syndesmosis screws between the tibia and fibula. I am NWB for 12 weeks, but at 2 weeks post op I tripped on the crutches and accidentally put almost full weight on my NWB ankle briefly. It wasn't painful, just felt like pressure and brief tingling which subsided. I haven't had any pain since, but I am nervous that I could have broken one of the syndesmotic screws. Has anyone else accidentally put weight on their injured ankle with the syndesmosis screws? I'm sure I'm just psyching myself out but I am nervous I did damage. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also I forgot to mention I was in an air boot. 
  • Posted

I'm five weeks post op and have slipped and done it twice. I'm supposed to be non weight bearing for six weeks in a cast but the last few days I've started partial weight bearing

• Posted

Hi, I encountered the same situation while I was wearing my splint and boot. I was terrified that I would have to go through surgery for the second time around, which would be detrimental for me. I dread going through surgery, simply because it causes too much heartaches. So far my exrays turned out as expected, so that was a big relief on my part. If you feel unsured about your recent accident. Consult your doctor.

I am over my past accidents, now I am suffering mentally.I hate depending on others to help me keep my house in organized. I hate having to ask family members for help and some of them get an attitude. Also, I am tired of crying and worrying if I would be able to walk again. Now, I am partial weight bearing with a boot. Mh surgery was on 1/27/2018.

• Posted

I did that last night. I'm 4 weeks post op in 2 days and I almost toppled over in my kneeling walker and put my full weight on my bad foot to keep from falling. I'm almost certain that I broke the screw. It didn't hurt at first, but then closer to bed it started pinching every time I moved it. It burns and tingles and is swollen a bit more on the right side. Did you find out if your screw was broken? What was the result. Surgery again? was it healed enough that you could go on without it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.