Accidentally stepped on broken ankle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 4 weeks post breaking my tibia in my ankle and 3 1/2 weeks post ORIF surgery to fix it with two screws. This morning while trying to feed my cat my crutches slipped and I went backwards. I landed on my bad foot before quickly snatching it up. I am in a boot and cleared for 50% weight bearing and had no pain at all when I stepped on it but I’m terrified I did something because that was more like my whole body weight for a second not 50% about 30 minutes after doing this I still have no increased pain but it feels slightly more swollen. I’m also 16 hours away from my doctor because I’m on vacation in Florida that he cleared me for!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I disagree with calling doc, I think your pain is your guide, you had a boot protecting you which is why they make you wear them, and I bet everything is just fine. I banged this and that with my cast and boot accidentally, clumsy,  I did no harm. Just slow down when feeding kitty lol. Plus, what is the doc going to guess on the phone, he wouldn't know anything w/o an X-ray. 

• Posted

And by the way, I could never figure out the partial weight bearing when I was told to do it. How do we really know the percentage of weight we are distributing exactly, haha. I guess my point is you may be putting more weight on it than you think anyhow, so the likelihood of damage seems slim.
    • Posted

Thanks for the response! I’m not even worried anymore because 24 hours post doing this I still have no pain and my ankle looks the exact same so I’m good.

My doctor gave me a really good tip for partial weight bearing! He said use a scale and push on that foot till it shows half my body weight and then I know how much pressure is ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.