Accupuncture anyone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone tried acupuncture? If yes, how did it help? How would you rate it? Short term or long term results?

Thanks so much!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am a huge fan of acupuncture. It has been the most consistent healing modality I've used. Following ankle surgery December 2017 (where the surgeon cut a nerve), I was in a lot of pain and had limited mobility. Started with my acupuncturist in May 2017 and still go to her every two weeks. For about five months, I went weekly.

It helped with bringing 'life' back into my leg, aided circulation and helps with pain management. Look for one who uses various techniques. For example, mine has used electro-acupuncture, moxibustion, taping, cupping, etc depending on my symptoms.

It is also good for stress management, which is often needed when you are in pain or in recovery. Be sure to tell the practitioner everything - he/she then can design treatment.

Short-term results? Yes. Reduces swelling and pain, calms me down, decreases inflammation, helps with mobility for 2-3 days.

Long-term results? Yes. I'm not sure if it's directly related or if it's because given 2 or 3 days of reduced pain and increased mobility you are able to do more, which helps with the healing process. Either way, it's been a lifesaver for me. Best of luck, and don't hesitate to reach out to me with questions.

• Posted

Whoops! I started with her May 2018, not 2017 😃

• Posted

Thank you, Mel. That is all so very encouraging and sounds so worth it!!! I think my PT is scheduled to finish the end of this month. I am almost 67 y.o. and seriously hope to become wayyyy more healed so as to live independently if needed.

I am too stiff in general, even before the accident & surgery.

I live in the mountains around ski & hiking areas. Been here for 1 year. I have seen a couple of acupuncture offices as I have roamed the area. One is part of a Chiropractor's office.

Thanks a million!

• Posted

I have not tried acupuncture yet. I did, however, receive "dry needling" at physical therapy yesterday.

This procedure is a little like acupuncture with needles, yet they use different points of where the needles are placed, I guess. It helped my pain 70% all day and evening without weight bearing. While walking my pain was at still there but way more tolerable. I will do it again if I am able to. My pain level today is still tolerable. Best of luck to you.

5 months post op. 03/04/19 ORIF ankle surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.