Accuracy of CT Scan

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm interested to know if anyone knows how accurate a CT Scan is to detect pancreatic cancer? The doctor requested a ct scan with pancreatic protocol, I don't know exactly what that means, all it says on the radiologists report is 'multiple phase ct pancreas including non-contrast, post contrast during portal venous, arterial and delayed phases'. The scan came back clear.

I would like to know how certain the above is in ruling out pancreatic cancer.

A bit of background....

I am a 41 year old male. I consider myself to be fairly healthy, I like to eat relatively healthy, enjoy exercise and rarely drink alcohol. I am 180cm tall and weigh around 74kgs.

About 4 months ago I started to experience a vague pain that moved around my lower abdomen, this pain is now predominately in my lower right abdomen (to the right of the belly button) and sometimes in my right hand side. It is not constantly there, it comes and goes. About two months ago I developed a dull pain/ache deep in my upper back, below my in right shoulder blade, again this is not there constantly, it comes and goes. I have had muscle pain in my back before from over exerting myself in sport or lifting a heavy object, this is different to that type of pain, no as intense.

During the past 4 months, I have had various other symptoms....

Episodes of light headiness and dizziness.

A racing heart/heart palpitations.

An indigestion type feeling the indigestion feeling isn't a heartburn type feel, but more of a feeling that something is stuck in my throat that is ready to come up back up (but doesn't), I have been getting a mild feeling of nausea with this as well. I went through a period of a few weeks where I was belching excessively immediately after eating (this had now subsided, though has come back more mildly on a few occasions)

Periods of fatigue. I am normally an active 'get up and go' kind of guy, though I started to feel very lethargic and unmotivated.

Instances of getting a bad chemical taste in my mouth, I also noticed that when drinking beer it tasted disgusting and not at all as it normally does.

Tongue Sores

My belly constantly pulses up and down, which is especially noticeable when sitting or lying down. I have been told this is completely normal though it's something I have never experienced before. I also know that I'm not overweight though I certainly have belly fat.

Changes to my normal bowel habits.

I have had blood tests, a colonoscopy and endoscopy and nothing untoward has showed up. I appreciate that I have had a lot of testing, which has come back clear, though I also know that PC is not always picked up from CT scans and that sometimes it is missed or that alternative testing is required.

I'm not saying I'm convinced I have PC, though it certainly has been a worry for me. I would just like to know how confidently it could be ruled out.

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

A CT with the pancreas protocol is pretty good and finding growths-- this is from a peer reviewed journal publication in 2011: "It has reported sensitivity between 76%-92% for diagnosing pancreatic cancer". MRCP I believe is as good or even better now. EUS is with biopsy is the best and is well above 90% I believe.

Most folks with pancreatic issue describe pain in the upper abdomen, such as upper left or middle behind the stomach, as that is where the organ is. Have they checked out your gallbladder other than saying there are not stones from the CT scan? Pain on the right side and upper right back, metal taste in mouth, upset stomach, are all symptoms of gallbladder issues. You can have a sluggish/bad gallbladder without having stones. The Dr. could order a HIDA scan which would measure how it is working.

Do you react poorly to different foods? If it's gallbladder or pancreas, fatty foods would probably set it off. I know that alcohol can also do it, or basically anything that promotes the CCK hormone response.

I myself have had 2 CT scans (spread apart by a year), MRCP, 2 years of blood work, 2 ultrasounds, endo/colonoscopy, and gallbladder removed with no answers. Symptoms are pain under right rib and upper right back after eating fatty foods, drinking alcohol or caffeine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.