Accuracy of Herpes Blood Test?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently I got tested for STD's because I started having symptoms of itchiness from my testicles and groin along with a single bump on the shaft of my penis that like look an ingrown hair or welt for the past week and half. Upon examination of my genitals my doctor suggested that I get tested for herpes which has scared me a lot. She told me that the blood sample was for the herpes and from what I've read online, blood tests can sometimes comeback false-positive. I have to wait a week or earlier if something comes up for my results. Is it also possible to have herpes with one singular bump? I have had it for a week and a half now and it hasn't bursted like most herpes lesions do

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear john,

Would you mind posting a photo of the spot/lesion so that we can comment on its appearances?

You are correct in voicing your concerns about the reliability of the herpes blood test, especially if it's done without a high level of clinical suspicion. The 'gold standard' test for herpes is a swab for HSV DNA taken directly from the lesion. This is very sensitive test if you have active herpes. Was this done? And was this swab result negative, which led your doctor to recommend a blood test?

Rgds,

Adhari.

• Posted

I have not had a swab test done because there wasn't anything oozing or bleeding from the lesion to take a swab from. They did a blood test because I was describing that I had major itchiness in my groin area and a bump that had shown up on my shaft.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.