Accutane treatment for acne

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone.. so I have been on accutane treatment for the past 15 days now.. i'm on 20 mg.. just wanted to knw how everyone else is doing who are on the same boat with me...

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey I'm on 60mg. Been taking roaccutane for 6 weeks now. Started on 30mg then went to 60mg 2 weeks ago. My lips are dry and my skin is quite dry. I'm just using Vaseline, cetraben cream and hydrocortisone cream for my hands. I've been fine apart from that with only the odd spot x
    • Posted

Hey Jenn.. how r u doing now? Skin all good now? Wat r u using on ur face for dry skin?
  • Posted

Im on accutane now a 4 weeks tomorrow, takin 40mg a day, just had dry lips but really nothin else. Still getting sore large spots
  • Posted

Hi sammy44545,

I've been taking 20mg for the last 10-11 weeks....I continued to use Panoxyl 10(Benzoyl peroxide)cream for the first 4-5weeks to give roaccutane chance to work and now using very little other than just Dove soap and water. Derm told me to use very little/none Moisturizer. Just use a good lip balm on my lips to stop them getting too dry. In my case I'm Using roaccutane to control over active oil glads as my skin was always very oily and after about 4-5weeks started to see my prones shrink and my skin prodce less oil. Have used gels/creams for over 20years and wanted to stop putting so many chemicals on my skin, so its lovely to be able to just wash in Dove soap and water and not have to spend so much time in the bathroom every day......As my first couple of blood tests were fine and I'm taking a low dose (I'm male and around 88kg - 190lbs) I'm now not having to go to my Derm every month, so at my last appt I was given enough accantane to last 3 months and will just have another blood test before I go back to see her in mid Jan. Everyone is different and every treatment is different but if used collectly I really think this is an excellent treatment and can really help.......Hope everything goes well for you. best wishes     

• Posted

Hey Simon... so u actually don't have any pimples right??? I'm also on 20 mg.. tonight its going to be 1 month since i started the treatment.. face is so dry want to use something.. can u please suggest anything?
    • Posted

Hi sammy44545,

I think the important thing is to use something very light....Some moisturizers are too heavy and clog your pores and can make your skin more oily....which works against what roaccutane is trying to do. I only use moisturizing soap and water with a little moisturizer in the morning. My Derm has told me not to use moisturizer as I'm using roaccutane to remove the oil from my skin so dont what to add too much back in (if that makes sense) Recommending a good moisturizer is very difficult as our skin types are all different.  

Just make sure you only use a small amount....clogging pores will only make your skin worse.  My skin has been the best its been for years since starting the treatment 3months ago. I only had mild acne before, as the main issue was very oily skin (which I've had for most of the last 20years) and now my skin is producing less oil, my skin has been mostly clear since the accutane started to work around week 5 or 6...I'm sure stopping all those products is also helping my skin get a balance back as years of chemicals cant be good for it......Really hope your treatment goes well and dont forget....if you do use a moisturizer, only use a small amount...I know its easy to put lots on my your skin is dry but using too much really can have a negative effect......take care

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I bought Citrus Clear for my son and it has been excellent at reducing the acne and the redness on his face, , ,this was recommended by a friend of mine who is s nurse!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.