acdf surgery 2.5 wks ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had acdf surgery at c6/7 on 21st June. The first week was horrendous but by the end off week 2 I was feeling very well with minimal pain. Just a bit off an ache. Today the pain has suddenly returned in the base of my neck and I'm unable to do the exercises given to me by PT. Is this normal to have gotten better and suddenly relapse? I know it's early days but I cannot work out why the sudden pain appeared this morning sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I have a four level fusion C3-C7.  I know I didn't start PT for six weeks after surgery.  Maybe talk to your doctor and make sure you are not over doing.   Also, I get pain...above the daily stuff, when it's damp weather.  

• Posted

I have my 2nd lot of physio on Wednesday. I did notice a lot of people on here didn't start it till a few weeks after. It's my surgeon who ordered me to start a week after surgery. To be honest she didn't do much as the swelling was too bad. She did tell me my spine is not in good shape and needs to do lots off work going forwards to correct the curving of my spine sad

Might explain Wednesday how bad it's got again . Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

I have had THREE  cervical repairs.  First two I was pushed by my job and doctor to 'get back to normal '.  Fact is, having a plate in your neck is not normal.   Tell your doctor your pain and if they don't listen... I'd say find one that does.  I regret not being direct about my pain.  Pretty sure that's how I went from a 3 level to a 4 level....I pushed myself and didn't heal. 

• Posted

Good luck. I will say that if there is one thing I learned and maybe learned a bit too late was strength training has helped me tremendously post both surgeries. I was fit prior to my first but after my back surgery I had to force myself to get back in shape and strengthen up the whole kinetic chain along my spine, I wish I was more proactive about that prior to my surgeries. I wonder if I could have prolonged having a surgery if I had been stronger in certain parts of my body? I Was starting to have nerve damage and paralysis in my legs so my back sx was necessary. All I can say is I feel stronger in my upper and lower back now because I maintain my core and I focus on my posture which I feel makes a huge difference post surgery.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

I would definitely call your dr and let them know, you may just be healing and it’s part of the process, good days and bad days. I had acdf c3-c7 in January 2015. In the hospital for 4 days, and hosting a Super Bowl party 2 weeks after surgery, I was 43 at the time but my surgery di a world of good for me long term. I do remember the dr saying no picking up/carrying anything over 10 lbs, no vacuuming. I think I started pt 3-4 weeks post surgery.

i did have a PLIF, L3-S1 a year later and that recovery and pain level were night and day compared to the acdf. 

• Posted

I had my 2nd physio appointment today after being up all night in pain I was dreading it. The lady noticed straight away I had took a big step backwards. She says my muscles front and back off my neck are rock hard and she was very concerned about the pain at the fusion site and the lack off movement suddenly. I'm back in hospital for urgent surgeon review tomorrow sad she is concerned C5/c6 which was already not in a good state is struggling to take the extra load. My GP has now changed my meds to oramorph, slow release morphine tablets and Lyrica to try help get the pain sorted . Wish me luck...I'm dreading more bad news tomorrow sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.