ACDF Surgery . Looking for Input.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, new member here. On 8/26/21 I was rear ended on my motorcycle while waiting at a red traffic light. I ended up suffering 4 fractured ribs and some pretty severe neck and lower back pain. The ribs are still sore, but I'm left with a wide array of back pains, tingling, light headedness. I had 2 MRI's done which showed central disc protrusion deforming the cord at C5-C6. C-6-C7 disc desiccation, left foraminal. As far as the lumbar, herniated disc at L5-S1 causing compression of the L5 nerve root.

So far I've had one neurologist appointment where the physicians assistant walked in and said I'd be in a wheelchair eventually if I don't have surgery. She leaves the room, doctor comes in, says I'm fine, do some PT and return to normal activities. Needless to say I was a bit in shock with these 2 completely different directions. I have a 2nd opinion scheduled for Tuesday. I did start PT and looking at the mri report he did say these findings are pretty significant. Nobody really went over the report with me before this.

Has anyone had the Cervical surgery? What were your outcomes, recovery time? I'm a Police Officer as well as a Motorcycle Officer. I just want to know if I'll be able to work at full capacity. With a central disc protrusion I'm just wondering if I fall down, fight with someone, etc and take a hit to that area, is that going to be lights out for me? I'm just trying to get as best educated on this. I'm not trying to rush, but I do want to get better and my wife is expecting in February so I want to be healthy for my baby.

I'm 37 years old, in good shape. No prior medical conditions or any surgeries. Non smoker.

Thank you all for taking the time in reading this and I look forward to talking more.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.