ACDF surgery soon. What should I expect, am so scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Apparently I need c6/7 and possibly c5/6 removing and fusion. I am a very active (or was) 47 yr old and am rather scared of the op and unsure regarding the expected recovery. Can anyone please help to ease my mind a little please

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marie, Janis from New Zealand here. I had a C5/6 fusion in 2009 when i was 59. I had been in a lot of pain and was struggling to keep up at work. I had a bone graft taken from my hip to replace the disc. There was no pain in my neck but the pain in my hip more than made up for that! The surgery has been 100% successful.  I have no pain at all, just a tiredness in my neck sometimes. So I would like to wish you all the best for your operation, it is scary but well worthwhile. Take good care of yourself after surgery.
    • Posted

Thank you all. Just to update I am checked in for my operation today. Just waiting to know where I am on the list. Very nervous but after all the pain I have been in... It will be nice to look forward to better times.
    • Posted

Try to remain calm, I know it's very hard to do with this surgery. But remember, you will wake up with some discomfort but no pain! I would do this all over again if I had to, the difference it made immediately after waking up from surgery was amazing! Stay strong 
  • Posted

I hope all goes well for you Marie, our hearts are with you.
  • Posted

Hey Marie,

How did the surgery go ?

• Posted

Hi. How kind of you to remember me. It went fine. Recovery was slower than i thought but that was my impatience i think. I am 18 months on ans now getting nerve pain again so fear another disc may be herniating. Its manageable at the moment but am gettong the same symptoms after a lovely period of none. I dont know how many times you can have this op but am hoping to stave it off for as long as possible.
    • Posted

Hi Marie,  how many discs did you have replaced  in your neck? Did you have any headaches before the surgery, and if so, did the headaches go away after the surgery and  not come back?   I am considering having ACDF surgery for bulging discs in my neck.  Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi Marie,  how many discs did you have replaced  in your neck? Did you have any headaches before the surgery, and if so, did the headaches go away after the surgery and  not come back?   I am considering having ACDF surgery for bulging discs in my neck.  Thanks!
  • Posted

Ihad L3-S1 spinal rods removed and new rods put n almost my whole back from T3-S1 n Jan..also did laminectomy at L2 and scoliosis repair.Surgery was a very extensive surgerybut..doing well after almost 9 hrs surgery. Just having a tough time sleeping. Dont know if Im fussing or not yet as I havent had another mri. Doing water therapy which is excellent.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan, your surgery is different than mine.  I will have 3 discs in my neck replaced, C-4-5-6.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.