Ace inhibitors + Calcium channel blockers. Feel so tired & dizzy, no energy while walking.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 34 and on Hypertension class 2 medication. On medication since last 2 month. My BP raised to 180/88 for the first time & It was around between Systolic 160 to 145 most of the time. Once I had to be in ER for sudden raise BP & doctors prescribed me ACE Inhibitors Enalapril 5mg. I was okey for 2 weeks after medication but suddenly my BP spiked again to Systolic 180 with heavy heart rate. Went to Hospital and they Increase my BP medication with Enalapril 5mg + Amlodipine 5mg (In morning ) & Enalapril 5mg ( Before Bed). Fortunately It helped a lot to drop My BP to Systolic 120 to 110 & Diastolic 85 to 65 but resting heart rate become high always 85 to 95 bpm. Some times in mid afternoon I feel so dizzy, no energy to do anything, difficulties in walk, feel like fall down while walking. Does anyone experiencing anything like this ? TIA.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Many people have negative reactions to amlodipine - I did. It seems like all the calcium channel blockers cause more side effects than other BP meds.

If heart rate is an issue, the drug class of choice are beta blockers. These also have (different) side effects, but sometimes you can take a smaller dose - I take 12.5mg of atenolol, which is like 1/4 of a normal adult dose, and it works well for me.

Also - try chocolate! About one ounce (30 grams) of dark chocolate, at least 72%, is pretty much as effective as a drug store beta blocker. But of course there are carbs and calories, too!

• Posted

Dear Hasib86, I have recently read your message about your blood pressure. Amplodipine I had felt the same as you too.

As soon as you can go to your Dr and ask him for a blood test to see if you have B12 Defeciency. This is where your red cells in your blood get larger which can meke you ache in your mussels etc. It can make you very tired to as well making you feel you are going to fall ok. I've been through this and you receive a red liquid injection that will get you back up to scratch ok. Amplodipine effected my legs now I am off it because of the B12 defiency they have found. GOOD LUCK¡¡

• Posted

Thanks adrian32374 . I will talk to my DR about B12 deficiency on next appointment in 7th November. Beside, I am tired of these symptoms - feelings. No concentration on work, feel like doomed, certain nervousness, faintout symptoms. During the odd feelings, I do feel the BP is raising but not much around Systolic 135 to 140 and drop again. These things only happened during first 4 to 5 hours of medication, as time goes by I started to feel like normal as get your arse back to work !!! I do take Enalapril 5 mg at night before sleep but dont have any morning sickness so far until I took Breakfast medication Enalapril 5mg + Amlodipine 5mg. From last 2 days I reduce my dose of Amlodipine 5mg to 2.5mg. I keep feeling a little better then before & will continue until any major problems. One more thing, My BP is in very good condition now, not more then Systolic 110 to130 & Diastolic 65 to 95. I will update my further progress.

• Posted

doctor put me on amplodopine for high blood pressure last year but within a couple days my heart rate shot up and doctor said come off and monitor...... well a year later bp is still a bit high (last time I had it checked it was about 165/95) but I have given up on medicine. half the issue is sertraline caused me a massibe weight gain so now sitting at about 21 stone 6 foot putting my bmi extremely high contributing to the bp

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.