Achalasia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Sheila, I took omeprazole for many many years and, it did not work for me either., over the the years i have personally found that it is just a case of waiting it out. Have you tried Buscopan by any chance, you can buy them over the counter. They are anti spasmodic used largely for IBS, they may help. I would maybe try a warm drink like a herbal tea or, Horlicks. These tend to ease mine a little 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nettie.  I have not tried Buscopan.  I have only been on the omeprazole for about 10 months now.  I have tried all kinds of drinks to help this but at this point, nothing has helped - usually only time until it passes.  The water helps the most but sometimes the pressure builds up from the water that it makes it worse.  If the water pushes through, I think it helps.  I have had achalasia for over 20 years.   It has been a long haul.  
    • Posted

Awe I totally understand, I’ve suffered for 35 years, I drink small amounts of carbonated water at room temperature that helps with pushing food down. However I am mainly on liquid diet now as there has been no function in my oesophagus since 2014 and, I am now looking at a full oesophagetomy following another endoscopy on 11th Feb. The only advice I can offer you from personal experience is that omeprazole did not work for me and, I took it for many years. And, as we now know it should not be taken long term. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.