Achalasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been seeing a gastrointestinologist since October of 2016 still waiting on a recommendation of a surgeon that can perform poem and fix an inverted stomach. In my opinion this is taking way too long I've been living on baby food Boost energy drinks and unable to eat much of anything solid because it won't pass through the sphincter of my esophagus. Can somebody recommend what my next step should be? I definitely have no quality of life. All of the tests have been run but no one can make a decision on what is the best method to correct this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You should go to Korea to get it done. You don’t have to wait for weeks. Google search H plus Yangji hospital. I have swallowing difficulty issues like you but did not find any abnormalty. Planning to get biopsy done that is my last test left and I got to wait a month for it .... I know how you feel I have no quality of life right now
  • Posted

Hi Cindy

I was diagnosed with achalasia 9 years ago. When it first happened I was in a similar way to you and beside myself as to the future.

The thing I don't understand with your case vs mine is that I was firstly recommended a balloon dilation. The splincter wasn't working properly nor motility of the esophagus + the width of the esophagus had shrunk. The dilation was brilliant for 4-5 months but even after that it was relatively fine, I just need to drink a lot of water with meals.

In other words, am not sure if you've had the best advice for next steps.

HTH

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.