Achalasia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ACHALASIA ABOUT 1 yr AGO AFTER SUFFERING FOR ABOUT 6 mo PRIOR SINCE MY PRIMARY DR BRUSHED IT OFF AS JUST MY HEARTBURN ISSUES. PROGRESSIVELY IT HAD GOTTEN WORSE.I COULDNT SWALLOW WITH IT COMING BACK UP ... OR IT WOULD JUST SIT IN MY CHEST AREA AND NOT GO ANYWHERE... ALL FOOD AND DRINK WOULD REGURGITATE EVEN WATER... I LOST 22 LBS.. CHANGED MY PRIMARY DR , EXPLAINED MY SYMPTOMS TO MY CURRENT DR AND RIGHT AWAY HE STARTED SENDING ME FOR TESTING WHICH WAS THE BARRIUM SWALLOW AND A REFERRAL TO AN AWESOME GASTRO DR. THE GASTRO DR CONTINUED ON WITH MORE TESTING INCLUDING AN ENDOSCOPY AND MORE. AFTER ALL WAS SAID AND DONE HE DIAGNOSED ME WITH ACHALASIA AND REFERRAL TO A SURGEON. BEFORE I SAW THE SURGEON HE DECIDED TO DO ANOTHER ENDOSCOPY AND USED BOTOX INJECTION INTO MY ESOPHOGUS . THAT WAS THE TEMPORARY MIRACLE I NEEDED. IT LASTED JUST BEFORE I HAD MY SURGERY WHICH WAS ABOUT 3 mons. LAPROSCOPIC imageROBOTIC HELLER MYOTOMY WITH FUNDOPLICATION WAS PERFORMED THIS PASSED THURSDAY, SPENT 2 NIGHTS IN THE HOSPITAL, I HAVE 7 HOLES AND I FEEL GREAT 6 DAYS LATER . A LITTLE SORE BUT NOT HELPLESS. I WAS ON A LIQUID DIET FOR 2 DAYS, NOW ON A FULL LIQUID DIET FOR 5 DAYS THEN SOFT DIET FOR I THINK 4 WEEKS , SO WITH THAT BEING SAID MAKE SURE YOU GET A 2nd OPINION IF YOU HAVE THE SYMPTOMS AND YOUR CURRENT DR DOESNT SEEM TO THINK ITS A BIG DEAL. THEY DONT HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT ... YOU DO!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That is good news. I hope your condition continues to improve.

You may well still have to be careful though with what you eat, avoiding food that has a stringy texture or that might congeal easily. And keeping relaxed around eating will always be helpful.

• Posted

Thankyou I will definitely follow the instructions on what I can and cannot eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.