Achalasia Advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 13 years old and I have just recently been diagnosed with achalasia and my doctor gave me 4 options. Botox, dialation, Heller Myotomy, and a new prosedure called POEM. I am unsure about which procidure I am going to do and I really need advice on which procedure (with reasons please) and on how I can handle the problem because it is becoming difficult to handle and as of right now I am taking Nefidipine and it helps a lot but it is not a permenent solution. I am leaning towards POEM because it is low risk and is simple. Please give me advice!!!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sazo,

I've had the HM surgery and it has lasted me 4 years. I was hoping for longer, but when looking into the other options like the balloon streching or botox, I choose the HM surgery. One reason was the balloon streching was said to make surgery in the future harder and same with botox. I havn't heard of the poem and will be looking into that as another option, since I'm back in the same boat again. I hope your HM surgery, if thats what you pick, last a lot longer. It was worth it for me and I may go through with it again. Good luck and best wishes smile.

• Posted

What didi you decide, heller or POEM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.