Achalasia and POEM treatment in UK

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all. I'm about to have POEM treatment for Achalasia and have been posting on other pages, but as there doesn't seem to be a 'blow by blow' account of anyones tests, treatment and results, so I thought I would put mine out there for everyone else who has to go through this crap, so they can get an idea of timescale.

I hope this helps.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wishing you the best outcome from POEM, and getting your life back.
  • Posted

I live in the U.S. and have a POEM procedure scheduled for Dec. 7. I think you were lucky that they offered this to you. IMHO, it is your best shot at being able to eat more normally. I"m in the same situation as you--I can barely keep anything down. I've been dealing with this for 16 years but in the last year it has gotten so much worse.

I wish you the best with your procedure. Please let us know how you are doing. I'd like to hear your follow-up.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this information! I am a 51 year old female who is newly diagnosed after having symptoms in varying degrees for five years. Have had an upper GI and will be having an endoscopy under anesthesia mid-December. I am in the states and keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to have a POEM. I and my family are so ready for me to move beyond this, and your awesome words were exactly what I needed right now! Thanks again, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. 
  • Posted

There is great forum in Facebook. Keep your spirits up, keep the stress down and find your triggers. One more thing, learn to sleep sitting up
    • Posted

I've been through the sleeping sitting up phase. I don't get acid reflx so don't need sleep sitting up anymore. I'm miles better than I was.

• Posted

Hi,

It sounds like you had a hard time, but you seemed to have manage very well. Hope you can continue your work soon, and hope the you keep recovering quickly. Good job.

Your post has given me some strength...though I don't know what I have just yet.

Good luck!

Thank you.

Asha

• Posted

Thank you all for the information about POEM. I am thinking of having one in the new future. could anybody help me with the cost of doing POEM in the NHS or private? does it have to wait for a long time?

• Posted

Did you do it in NHS or in pricate? do you still remember the cost ?

• Posted

Sorry for the long delay, I've not been on here for ages.

I had my POEM on the NHS so I've no idea of the pivate costs.

• Posted

Ive followed this post after being diagnosed today - through the NHS after a 6 month intense period.

How are you now? After some time has passed?

Thanks,

Adam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.