Achalasia/ Barrats

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, after seeing my surgeon and, gastroenterologist yesterday and, saw how distended I was My surgeon MR. Paul Goldsmith said that he was not worried about the Achalasia as such at the moment but, was very concerned about the destention in my abdomen. He explained that it could be my bladder as the sphincter muscle associated with the bladder can also stop relaxing 😱 so I may possibly have 3 sphincter muscles that do not perform, my oesophagus which will never function. But, the sphincter in my large colon dosnt relax and, Now possibly my bladder. A courier arrived this morning with an appointment letter for next Tuesday along with something called Gastrofin that I have to dilute with water and, drink the day before and, on the morning of the CT scan. So I have no idea what is going on with my body. It will take me forever and, a day to get half a pint of water down at any one sitting. So my surgery has been put on the back burner until they find out what is causing the distension. Feeling rather poorly and, very down hearted at the moment. I just don’t know what is happening at all, my voice has completely gone today, but just a croak as I was obviously refluxing a lot in the night. I slept but, my husband did not as he said I was growling all night. So very fed up with myself today and, a little frightened to be honest. When I was admitted three weeks ago with severe chest pains and, very low blood pressure I explained to them that I was finding it difficult to pass water and, they just said it was because everything was squashed due to my abdomen. That was as much advice I was given by A&E as there were no signs of infection. It seems my sphincters are just giving up has anybody else experienced this at all 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think it is true that the motility of your oesophagus (ie the way food passes through) can be associated with motility in the rest of your system, and that if there is little motility in your colon, this may cause problems higher up, almost as a separate issue from things backing up, as it were.   There is another sphincter, I think between your small and large intestine or thereabouts, and it sounds logical that there might be an issue there that is contributing to your problems.  I think they are all connected with the vagus nerve system that controls a lot of digestive functions.

​The good aspect of it is that at least you are now getting attention, and, all thing being equal, they ought to be able to work out a remedy.  Sometimes it is better to be admitted as an in-patient to get things done more quickly.

I hope it gets sorted out for you.

• Posted

Hi Alan, it is such a mine field isn’t it. I just seem to be taking one step further and, 5 back at the moment. The way I feel today I feel being an inpatient would be the best scenario as I’m feeling very unwell today. I will see what tomorrow brings and, if there is no improvement I will go to the hospital. It may well be that I’m just having a very bad day and, being unable to move around without being in pain is catching up with my morale. I’m normally a very active person, enjoying  walking my four legged friend for miles. So I’m going stir crazy being stuck, unable to eat or, move. I feel very sad as this is obviously having an impact on my family. My youngest son lives in Cyprus but, has come home for a few months to find his mum poorly. He has to return to Cyprus at the end of this month and, I have not been able to enjoy him being home as much as I’d hoped. Apologies I’m just having a little wobble today and, feeling sorry for myself ha ha.  Others are obviously going through the same awful difficulties so I need to pull myself up by the boot straps 😊

• Posted

You are entitled to a 'wobble,' you have been, and are going through a lot.  I hope that today is a better day for you.

• Posted

Thanks Donna, very much appreciated. I don’t know, they hit you with one bombshell and, then another comes your way. Hopefully this full contrast CT next week will provide some answers, something else to mull over ha ha. Hope you are fighting the good fight x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.