Achalasia/Barrats and, unable to swallow or tolerate food

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have been struggling for a long time with my swallowing but, another problem presented itself. A nominal distension and, even a little porridge, very soft diet once it hit my stomach caused severe pain which took between 20-30 mins to subside. My GP has now prescribed Ensure supplement drinks and, although still very distended I’m not suffering from the pain when attempting to digest food. I did however forget to ask my GP how many of the Ensure should I be having per day

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Nettie, I think that 2 bottles a day are the usual 'maximum' recommended, however, having said that you need to check with your GP as to how they want you to drink.  I drink one, sometimes two, a day depending on how my LES is working.  If Ensure is helping, then continue.

• Posted

Sorry Nettie, I meant to say, '....as to how many, they want you to drink....'

• Posted

Thank you Donna, I’ve been taking 4/day at the moment as I’m just so hungry. Thanks for the advice. Take care 
    • Posted

I did a little research, and I think the concern with drinking too many Ensure a day is the 'gaining' of weight.  But that may not even be a concern for you.  Best thing, is to check with your doctor.  On a really, really, difficult day, I have drank 3 Ensures, and life went on.  Ensure is part of what keeps me 'alive.'

• Posted

Thanks so very much Donna, I did some googling myself last night and, there were a lot of posts saying why do people drink this rubbish, why not just have a healthy diet😱 unfortunately these people have know idea that a patient with Achalasia can not eat properly. I’m at a stage where my get up and, go has totally left the building. Even sloppy food or, soup is so painful when it eventually hits my stomach. There is something really aggravating my stomach as well as regurgitating everything. I was a little infuriated to read some of the posts. I think as you have said they are giving my system a rest. Many thanks and, I hope you are doing better x

• Posted

I’ve had some good news this morning my appointment has been brought forward to next Wednesday so I will hopefully have a better idea of what is going on. I hope so anyway as I’m at my lowest point now. My partner of 12 years decided that it was too much for him to deal with, he was missing out on life!!! And, we don’t have any fun anymore. So he packed up and, left. I am so very angry and, all respect has gone. Even though I am unable to eat normally I would still prepare a cooked meal for when he arrived home from work. So my tolerance levels are at zero, no more being past over for this girl.
    • Posted

I read some of those same posts, as well, and they ticked me off.  It is obvious that those people do not know about, or understand, Achalasia.   I'm not so sure I would still be alive, if it wasn't for Ensure supplements, giving me the nutrition I needed, even if they do contain sugar, etc.  I have type 1, which means my esophagus is paralyzed, dead, done.  and the LES only opens when it feels like it, and there is 'poor clearance' through that muscle into the stomach.  So basically, almost on a pureed diet.  It would be so nice to all that lovely 'healthy' food like a normal person.  I do try to eat a 'healthy' diet, as everything that goes into my mouth, I've considered as to what nutrition it holds.  But, having said that, some of the food that works for myself, and others with Achalasia, are things that, 'if' we didn't have Achalasia we would consider 'junk' food.  Potato chips, low-salt, seem to help stuff move...ie 'grease the pipe', and bitter dark chocolate relaxes that LES muscle.  Hot chocolate to drink, has become a 'comfort' food for my esophagus.  I could go on.....and yes, in the back of my mind, I'm still feeling 'guilty' about eating those things as a part of my 'regular' diet.  But my GP said to me over a year ago, that I had to throw out the idea of eating normally, and just eat to get calories into my body.  This is not an easy task....most days the calorie intake is barely 1,000.

• Posted

Hi ... If extra calories are needed on a fluid only diet , I have used Nestle Booster Caramal Drink. I think they are French imports - just google. 600 cal per small drink. They are totally yummy - no idea how they can taste so good. Not cheap though... As a tall fella I needed the extra calories; had 4 per day with no complaints!smile .... Healthy karma to all... Nx 
    • Posted

Thanks Neil, my appointment has been brought forward so I see the surgical team on Wed and, hopefully get some answers with a view to moving on with the surgery. I’m only 5 ft 1” and, I’m 7st 6lb at the moment. Everything I eat or, drink causes terrible pain in my stomach when it eventually squelches through. I feel that the Ensure is giving my system some time out as I’m exhausted from the battle with food. Also hit by the whopper that my partner of 12 years can not cope as it’s too stressful for him, he’s missing out on life and, it’s msking him miserable 😱 so I hope these Drs have some positive answers for me because I’m totally baked

• Posted

That Nestle drink sounds interesting.  What country do you live in?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.