Achalasia Cardia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering from Swallowing and Acid reflux difficulties for the last 7 months . Now diagnosed with Achalasia Cardia .

I decided to do POEM surgery as per the doctor's advise .

Any Achalasia friends plz let me knw where did you do your POEM surgery .

Currently I am looking forward Dr nageshwar reddy - Asian Institute of Gastroenterology , Hyderabad OR Dr Amith Maydeo - Global Institute , Mumbai .

Please friends any suggestions

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi manu,

I am not sure about treatment in India, but there is a new charity - achalasia-action dot org that is a great new resource, and is becoming a central point for the condition...

I hope you find what you are looking for,

Warmest,

Neil

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It may be helpful to download 'A Patient's Guide to Achalasia' from the website of Achalasia Action.

The POEM procedure is relatively new, and requires quite an experienced surgeon to be successful. The orthodox alternative is a Heller's myotomy which cuts the muscles that clamp shut your lower oesophageal sphincter, and other muscles up your oesophagus according to the manometry tests that measure the pressure exerted by the muscles. One thing you need to be aware of is whether you might suffer from reflux afterwards, because the fundoplication, wrapping the top of the stomach around the base of the oesophagus to create a valve to stop acid rising, does not occur with POEM. That does not mean that all people who have POEM suffer from reflux though, as shown in the Achalasia Action community on the website HealthUnlocked.

So questions to your surgeon are: how far along the length of your oesophagus will they cut the muscles, something that should be shown on manometry; what are the chances of having reflux afterwards on a permanent basis (therefore requiring long term PPI medication like Omeprazole); and how many of these procedures have they done before.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi.. I have had Achalasia/esophageal spasm for about 8 years. Now, I am feeling much much better because I take Bentyl (my GI doctor recommended it). It relaxes your digestive system, including the esophagus. I highly recommend trying it. I have gone from extreme burning pain 24/7 to no pain at all in a matter of two days of taking this med. I am so grateful.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up