Achalasia & Esophagus removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had their esophagus removed, and stomach pulled up, for 'Achalasia', only [not cancer].  I would like to hear your experiences, advice and so forth.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Me too. I am suffering from increasing spasms which can last up to 3 days. I cannot eat or drink during the time. I have complete lack of oesophageal motility and now 34 years post Hellers. At other times avoid meat, rice, bread and have a softish diet. Very interested to hear from anyone who has had the oesophagi season removed like Donna
    • Posted

I have not had my esophagus removed, that is why I am asking for stories from those who 'have' had this done, and again, those with Achalasia, not cancer.  I have not eaten bread, rice, cakes etc, for 2 years now.  Those things would congeal at the LES muscle and block it.  I eat very small portions of food, as everything has to be washed down with water.  My diet is very restricted, and even with a HM surgery and 2 dilations, nothing improved.  Like yourself, my esophagus is paralyzed, done, dead!  I do get the occasional spasms, which last anywhere from a few minutes to hours, but they are much milder than they were in the past.  I drink at least 2 supplemental, high-protein shakes [bought prepared], and try to make a protein shake with pureed peaches and prunes, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, protein powder, and a non-dairy, frozen product.  And yes, it is 'green' looking when done.  And yes, I get very sick of drinking those, and eating the restrictive diet I am on.  I stick with what 'works' and I don't 'adventure at all.  My GI told me last Fall, to be 'very, very, careful' what I put in my mouth.  This was after a discussion on what  'would be' done if my esophagus ended up getting well and truly plugged. So, I try very hard to avoid that scenario.  It is so difficult to eat out, which is a joke really, as I basically watch everyone else eat like normal human-beings, while I deal with a bowl of pureed soup.  So, like yourself, I want to know how well people can eat after the esophagus is removed and the stomach moved up.  I want to know if a person can eat a better variety of food [all be it, eating small portions, etc.]

• Posted

Around 5-10% of members of the Oesophageal Patients Association have had an oesophagectomy for reasons not concerned with cancer, and I have spoken to a few of them.

Their experience of the surgery is generally less complicated than the majority because they have not had to go through chemotherapy.

There is a HealthUnlocked community for the Oesophageal Patients Association so you could put up a post there and see if people there respond?

• Posted

Thanks, Alan.  Would I go on the 'Health Unlocked" website?  or the OPA website?  Do you happen to know at what point, the decision would be made for someone with Achalasia to have their esophagus removed, and the stomach pulled up, for eg.?

• Posted

Probably the HealthUnlocked website first.   I cannot put a link in here because the site does not allow it.

I think it would be at the point where the oesophagus gets very baggy and food just won't reach the stomach anyway because it sags so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.