Achalasia or acid reflux

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi im john Ive been diagnosed with acid reflux about 2 years ago the thing is the symptoms i have are vomiting every time i eat cant keep anything down not even water but can keep sweps indian tonic water down have lost loads of wight and currently going fro barium swallow had all other test and nothing shows what i dont get is that some of my symptoms are those of people with achalasia like being sick every i eat cant keep tap water down lost wight and my other symptoms are those of gastroesophageal reflux disease like heart burn.

im taking tablets fastab ones the dissolves in our mouth coz cant drink normal water been in omeprazole for controlling my acid in my stomach i just wish they sort me out coz im stuck at home till this is sorted

im on ensure food supplements at the moment and the thing is ill be able to eat lets say for 3-5days then im being sick again can any one suggest somethings.plz thanx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, I have Achalasia, I have had it now for 9 years. Im okay though, I was like you, I couldnt eat anything as I constantly threw up! My weight dropped to 6 and a half stone, and I was being sick up to 30 times a day, I was so hungrey all I could dream about was food and eating! I would try to eat but just could not get it down me, and a drink of water would take me hours to drink. My spinkter was measured and it was only 3mm wide by the time I had the baloon treatment. I have had three baloon treatments and four endoscopys. I suffer with Acid Reflux now, but I can eat and drink normally and I am trying to reduce my dosage of 80mg per day of Omeprasol tablets as I feel that it is too high. Its going well!! No problems so far! You just have to hand in there, if you are going for a barium xray then that will diagnose you if you have it. You have to push them though, cause I had to wait 6 months cause my doctors thought that I was bulemic, so did my family so I had no support atall. Things will hopefully get better for you, It did for me and to be honest I really beleived that at 19 I was gonna die, I just expected them to tell me I had cancer. Good luck, just try to eat and drink if you can, try build up shakes as they will give you the nutrients that your body needs, take care, Sophie x
  • Posted

Hang in there, treatment is available, but it is important to understand more about your symptoms.

I have found that medical professionals, even when you describe the symptoms in perfect detail, still have problems diagnosing whether you have achalasia or acid reflux (GORD) as the two are very closely related. The treatment for achalasia can even cause GORD.

You will need to clarify with your doctors whether you are being sick, where food is being emptied from your stomach, or whether you are regurgitating food that cannot physically pass into your stomach.

I was seen by a doctor at age 11 when I started suffering with dysphagia symptoms and he sent me for a barium swallow but this did not reveal any physical abnormalities, no 'birds beak' as they call it. This is probably as I sought advice very early in the process. My claims were dismissed and I went untreated, now - 16 years later, things are much worse because I have been carrying on as normal without treatment. My family even thought I was bulemic too.

My advice is to understand your symptoms, your triggers and what helps so that you can describe these to the medical professionals in detail. I have found that a glass of milk can be very effective after the onset of an episode of what is known as 'functional stricture'. Eliminating fizzy drinks from your diet also helps.

• Posted

i was diagnosed with achalasia about 10 years ago, at the time i had a balloon dialated and botox injected but the years have passed and its back. i can't go a single day without having a difficulty eating or drinking or even feeling like i've got constant heart burn. I was advised that there was an operation available but there was a small chance of it working. Does anyone know if this has improved or if there is another option, i don't want to take tablets for the rest of my life and hate operations if i can prevent them
  • Posted

Hi,

Kame - I think what Jamie say's is spot on ... It's important to differentiate.

I believe for most people it's the pain of 'trying' to eat food, the food getting lodged and the resultant regurgitation that's key.

WhatName - I was diagnosed about 12 years ago and had the operation. For me is was very successful and I believe that's true for very many people. I don't think I have heard of anyone who regrets having it. It generally transforms you into a happy person again. It's not absolutely 100% effective but I am well happy with the 95% fix.

Hope that helps :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.