Achalasia & Phlegm

Posted , 1 user is following.

Wondering if anyone has experienced the following.  I'm just getting over laryngitis caused by flowering lilac trees....the fragrance takes my voice.  With all this, the sinuses of course, become involved, and there is phlegm.  I am type 1 Achalasia, with a 'dead' esophagus, so no movement at all of my esophagus.  Last night, my throat became super sore, and it seemed like there was a plug of phlegm at the entrance into the esophagus.  I tried clearing my throat...didn't work.  I tried to 'gag' this phlegm, up not able to.  The throat being sore did not help.  I began to worry about 'choking'...so, if anyone else has had this happen, what did you do to get the phlegm to move?  Did you end up going to the hospital to get the plug 'scoped' out?  Have you ever gone into full-on choking because of this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you been drinking a plenty of water? I have a same problem and I realized that it happens to me when I am not taking enough of water.. try to drink at least 3 bottles a day at least. I am currently experiencing a thicket saliva and phlegm stacking at my throat.. only way to feel better is to drink more water.  Good luck 
    • Posted

I have type 1 Achalasia, trust me, I drink a lot of water!!!  That doesn't necessarily help the phlegm issue.  Was wondering if others have experienced that type of 'choking' sensation....like a plug at the top of the esophagus [back of throat].

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.