Achalasia treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello anyone suffering from achalasia post surgery Heller myotomy and ptl dors fundoplication? my son still continues to have issues and we've now got him on medicinal marijuana. it has been a life saver. he was told that he needed his esophagus emoved and had failure to thrive because he couldn't gain wt and was feeling so drained from malnutrition. he's now able to eat spasm free and gaining wt actively. energy is improved too. it's amazing.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had Achalasia for a few years now, had only some dilations done, no surgery. I am trying my best to avoid this.

I started on Cannibis Oil about 3 months ago and it does help. I take a little in the morning under my tongue and it is also good for acid reflux. How much does your son take?

I am glad it is helping. It has helped me too!

• Posted

Unfortunately the surgery does not 'cure' the condition, but often does allow food to progress down into the stomach by gravity, and is therefore successful on that basis - but with the qualification that the person will have to continue to be careful with eating. Spasms sometimes continue after surgery, but when these happen they are often different, or not so bad as what was suffered before.

You are quite right to have the nutrition as a priority - you can indeed see the benefits!

It is good news that he is spasm free at the moment. Is this because of the marijuana? Some people do appreciate the effect on the nerve system, apparently in much the same way as other medical conditions seem to respond to an ingredient of marijuana.But because it is not generally recognised or approved by doctors, in the UK at least, you need to be very careful. I am not medically qualified, but in your position I would welcome the improvement and then, in the longer term, think about whether there may be a medical mainstream alternative relaxant that might have the same beneficial effect as it is always better, if you are not already, to be under the supervision of medical doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.