Achalasia, your experiences and my story.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, new here. I have been suffering with sickness, extreme dysphagia, weight loss and chest pains for 12 years. I am 27 years old. I have had repeated endoscopies over the years which never showed anything significant, however the one I had this week shows probable achalasia. My weight has plummeted to 7.5st. I seem to struggle with all food and liquids other than water. I have to drink several glasses of water whenever I eat to 'push' the food down. I can be sick anywhere between 5 and 20 times per meal. It has been extremely distressing for me to have faced frequent accusations of being bulimic or this being all in my head. I even wake up vomiting in the middle of the night. I feel like this condition has taken over my life. 

Im interested in hearing your stories. Is there hope yet? 

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was diagnosed at the age of 30 in 1983. My weight had dropped by 4 stone and I too had been thought to have bulimia before diagnosis. My condition was diagnosed following a barium swall and follow through on X-ray. I had a Hellers op which in those days was a far bigger operation. This was very successful and I went back to normal life for the next 30 years after all the distressing symptoms.

wish you good luck.

• Posted

As I'm soon to have POEM I'm writing about my experience which Will include post-op pain/swelling and weight gain.

It can be found here;

Achalasia and POEM treatment in UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.