Ache in whole arm after rotator cuff and frayed tendon repair?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, it has been 11 weeks since I had a rotator cuff repair and a couple of small tendon repairs (bicep tendonitis frayed). Since I am now out of my sling, the 'whole of my arm' tends to 'ache' for most if not all of the day, but not every day.  It might recover over night and I then wake up fine, or it might start when I awake, after having a pain free day previously.  I believe this happens when I have agitated my shoulder, but there is no pain killer I have tried that stops the ache.  It is exactly the same ache I experienced before my op, except now it aches at the slightess use! I appreciate it is a long process to recovery, but just wanted to check if anyone else has the same symptoms, as I have only read about people getting pain and sharp pain in the actual shoulder.  My shoulder feel fine, slightly sore occasinally, but nothing I feel troubled by, its the whole arm ache.  Thank you 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes, aching in whole arm was part of my process also. I am now 4.5 months out from RC and bicep repair. first there was the bad pain in the first 3 weeks...then it got a little better. Then when I took the sling off and started PT there were all kinds of new pains. The bicep went through a week of sharp spasm and pain when the sling came off. then as I started range of motion exercises there were new pains and I also felt as though my arm was aching much of the day. It would be better upon arising and progressively more achy as day went on. Cold and positioning was all I did for it. As I progressed with the strengthening exercises I found that the achiness started to subside. now I have sore muscles from doing the exercises but overall much better. 12 weeks was when the PT allowed me to start actual strengthening exercises. It is a very slow process and every one has a different experience. But it sounds as though you are pretty much within the norm of what happens to many people. I hope this at least eases your mind and that the aching starts to ease up. Use the cold and pace your activities. Wish you the best!
  • Posted

Yes, I agree with the other comment. It seems the bicep took forever to respond to therapy while healing. For me, the bicep is what caused my whole arm to ache so much throughout my healing and therapy after surgery. By all means visit with your therapist about it if you havent already. Hang in there. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Thank you so much to both of you for your replies. I think I can hopefully begin to feel positive that after 3 years of this horrible ache (before and now after my op), I am actually on the road to recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.