Aches after Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone else had aches in their arms and legs after fracturing their foot. I have  Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal...I have been in a cast for 2 weeks and we are hoping I won’t need surgery. The aches I have been having are 10X more painful than the flu...really strange! I will be in a cast for 12 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I am 8 weeks out from a Jone's fracture. Still in the boot and non-weight bearing. My x-ray at 6 weeks showed "no visible signs of healing" according to the doctor. Although, when he pressed on the injured area of the foot, it doesn't hurt and there is no swelling or bruising. I was informed that sometimes the foot is actually healing, but the healing is delayed on the x-ray? Had no idea that was apparently possible. In regards to aching, I do have some aching in the injured foot around the fracture. It feels like a deep ache. It isn't super painful, but definitely noticeable. For me, it kind of comes and goes, but is more noticeable in the evenings. I do try to prop my leg up as much as possible throughout the day. I've really stepped up my diet with a lot of Omega-3 and fruits with anti-inflammatory properties since I read ibuprofen can actually slow bone growth. I can't say about aching in the arms as I also broke my wrist on the same side as my foot and my knee on the other side. I can say that I have not had any aching in the leg, just the foot and, to some degree, the ankle because it is held still in the boot. I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks (10 weeks post injury) and if it is still showing no signs of healing, I am opting for a screw. Recover rates seem pretty high with the procedure. Of course, I am hoping for natural healing though! Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Hi Andrea! Thanks for your response! Sorry we are kind of in the same boat! I am in a cast and lots be in a 3 story townhome. I was using a knee scooter and it tipped over and I fell on my left side...of course. The side with the fracture...I guess I forgot to mention that😬 I swear, J couldn’t get any clumsier! Now I can’t twist my left arm or put any pressure on it. I get throbbing pain most of the time. I think I am going in tomorrow for an X-ray of my arm...sigh. I hope I am not going to have a cast on my arm as well😑

• Posted

I really hope you don't have to deal with an arm case either. It was the worst. The only thing I could use was a wheelchair that I had to scoot around on using my good foot attached to my bad knee. All of my injuries happened at once...car accident. I guess if we have to dig deep for good news, arms seem to heal much faster than feet. I got the arm cast off in 6 weeks and that was with 2 breaks. My strength and range of motion aren't very good, but the arm is at least usable to do light work. If it is, they do make a walker with a platform for your forearm so you can use it even if it is broken if you are nervous about the knee scooter again.

• Posted

Hi Andrea! I am so sorry about your accident!! Ugh...sounds like you have gone through it!!! I hope I am not in a cast as well... but if it is broken I want it to heal correctly!! Crossing my fingers it is just sprained or something?? Thanks so much for the response and I hope you are doing better soon!!! Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.