aches and pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I am now 20 days post surgery and starting to get lots of aches and pains on various parts of my foot & ankle. My big toe and joint that have been pinned feel fine, its the other toes/side of foot/ankle that's annoying me. Is this normal?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa I am 28 days post op and have aches and pains, my main problem is that my toe is so stiff it feels like it is being strangled. Do you have lots of numb patches too?
    • Posted

Hi Amanda.  I don't have any numb spots but I do have the odd 'pins and needles' spots.  Tip of big toe and tip of second toe.  It was all toes straight after surgery but has improved daily so am expecting it to subside completely over time.  How is your heeling going?  Are you doing much?  I am pretty mobile but keeping it all to a minimum and spending 80% of my day with my leg up.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I'm nearly 4 weeks post surgery and have the odd ache on my foot but my problem seems to be my leg. Muscles and knee just ache which is hugely frustrating as I thought I was over the worst of it. I wonder if it is as a result of swelling going down and foot (and leg) getting used to its post op state??!

• Posted

I'm going into week seven and I've found that every week seems to have its own unique aches twitches and swelling problems. Last week my poor weak calf muscles we're knotting at night. I started rubbing the leg along with the foot and that helped. In the first couple of weeks my non-surgical toes kept twitching and spasming, so much so that for several nights in a row I took muscle relaxants to make it stop.  Basically the nerves in the whole foot and ankle area are getting rewired along with the structure of the foot. Or at least it feels that way. Unless it's sharp and prolonged in an odd non surgical place, don't worry about it. People walking on their heel have pains because they're using muscles in ways they don't normally. It all seems to be part of the process.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the advice. It seems various aches and pains are par for th course.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I am now 5 1/2 months post op so a little further on. Like you I experienced aches and pains that I didn't expect, though thinking about it following the op your whole gait changes as your bones re-align. I found that massaging my foot with bio oil from the toes to the ankle a great help. Also stretching the big toes as far as I could in both directions until it was almost painful did pay dividends. I was disappointied that my ankle was weak and as a result I developed quite a limp. In frustration I search the internet and found a few exercises to strengthen weak ankles and now the whole aching thing has virtually disappeared. Now not sure whether that was a coincidence but over a very short period of time of doing these exercises the ache and limp disappeared.  Now I don't know that but I will be doing all the exercises I have discovered when I have the other one done hopefully in the new year. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.