Achilles getting better after 5 weeks and 4 days

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

I ruptured my Achilles on the 22nd of July and cast went on straight away (non surgery) for 3 weeks and on moon boots for 2.5 weeks now. I am moving about with 2 crutches since day one and obviously still in a bit of pain.

I went to a family wedding on Saturday and was on my feet for about 5 hours in total and in total agony until I can't bear the pain any longer and went to the car to sleep. Left the wedding 1am Sunday and slept for 10 hours and when I woke up, I could move about in the boot freely with no crutches and less pain. I am very excited about this but a bit sceptical at the same time. I have booked an appointment with the hospital (private) on Wednesday, I really feel I could walk in trainers now but obviously I won't even attempt it until given go-ahead by the doctor. I obviously have a limp while walking.

Has anyone been able to walk in boot without crutches around 6 weeks mark?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Peter i

​Would you know if any supplements should be taken during the recovery stage once cast has been removed to strengthen everything that might have been affected. Any advise from the anyone on this forum would be great.  Thankyou

• Posted

Hi Asha,

I don't know of any supplements that can help the healing process except eating a bit healthier if you don't already. Advice that I was given were:

1. Don't put weight on as it can put more pressure on tendon.

2. Drink plenty of water

3. Elevate and Ice your ankle 3 times a day

4. Plenty of Rest

If you do the above you will be fine.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Ash,

One supplement that I know of that helps with the healing is vitamin C. I have always take it and Im glad to know that it helps with the healing process. I had my first round of physical therapy today. It went very well I have to say and can donsomwbof the exercises at home.

Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Thank u peter no quick fix then. Have been doing all the above except the ice packs will start that today. There are days were ive been really depressed and try to pull myself together. They say thats normal esp for someone like me who is on the gp 24/7. My main upset is not being able to train at gym. But my injury definitely is king at the moment and need to take a day at a time.

• Posted

Hi dez thk u for that. I have read about taking vitamin c just wasnt sure how effective. Whats yr take on magnesium supplements. My diet is pretty good as i am diabetic so generally eat well. Diabeties is well controlled so no problems in that area. But i know healing can take longer. Glad to hear u recovering well.
  • Posted

Its 8 weeks next Thursday 13/02/20 since i had a tendon sever i was given this boot it comes off only when i shower once a day can i now sleep without this boot? its driving me mad i am retired so the boot was not option as no operation was offered, i do have some swelling but i think thats normal i can walk with no aid around the house as i bought an even up boot for the other leg what a fantastic purchase no more hip pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.