Achilles heel ruptured?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So Tuesday I rolled my ankle and got a bit of a sprain, spent half the day tuesday with ice on it constantly keeping it elevated. Wednesday I was icing it every now and then and keeping it elevated. wednesday afternoon i was bandaging it and doing mini exercises to ensure it wasnt going stiff. Such as pointing my toes to the ceiling and writing the alphabet, which was easy and didn't hurt. By wednesday the bruising had started coming out a horrible black and blue.

Come Thursday I was able to walk on it with no issues, just a little uncomfortable and awkward. I massaged the area to ensure scar tissue wasnt building up, put on a icy hot pain relief patch under my bandage and went out. Walking was ok, however walking up stairs my heel felt very sponge-y and uncomfortable.

Getting back home a couple hours later I took the bandage off and went to bed, the bruising was out in full force being very dark purple. I went to bed with my leg raised as always and this morning I have woken up the bruising is pretty much gone. Just very light purples and blue/greens. The swelling is also nearly gone, however I do now have pain up the back of my calf when it is pressed on.

Could I have injured my achilles heel? And how do I help support it when walking up the stairs?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

google thomsons test / calf squeeze and perform this test to rule out any rupture of your achilles tendon. but with the amount of bruising you have, you need to get it checked out anyway just to make sure you havent sustained an injury that could lead to a rupture and for your own peace of mind!

• Posted

I've done the test and my foot was moving ... thank the lord! I've stayed in and rested it again today & applied icy hot patches all day. the swelling and bruising has come down loads, not sure if going to the doctor is necessary due to being able to walk on it, bare weight and the fact the swelling has come down loads and i have no pain, except some tenderness on the back of my calf when pressure is applied.

I've been doing mini exercises all day, such as flexing my foot, heel rises (on both legs not just injured leg), heel stretches, writing the alphabet with my toes and doing circular motions, and standing on just my injured foot for a few seconds at a time, slowly building it up.

The only pain I have (besides the tender calf) is when i turn my foot inwards towards my other leg, and even that pain is only a 2/3 out of 10.

would you say its worth seeing a doctor still? I'm currently abroad and on holiday so would like to try and avoid the hospital if necessary. I have travel insurance and a claim was open when the injury happened but because of how its healing I havent found it necessary to go. I spent a few hours walking on it yesterday with no pain (other than the uncomfortable heel feeling while walking up stairs) and it didnt swell back up either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.