Achilles rupture - first few weeks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ruptured my achilles playing football on 01.11.14 and it is not a week since then and i am in a fibreglass cast. As with most i am pretty active going to the gym and playing football for a total of 5days a week.

I had ACL reconstruction surgery in Feb 14 and seven months after i was back training with the team and playing indoor football easing my way back to outdoor competitive games when this happened.

Went to the A&E dept the following morningĀ  02.11.14 and was diagnosed me with ruptured AT and was sent to fracture clinic for ultra sound scan. Long story shot, am not urgent case and placed in a fibreglass cast and given two crutches (NWB) and referred to a consultant in another hospital this monday (10.11.14). I am hoping to have a scan to find out how bad the rupture is and how high/low and what recovery period would be advised.

I was initially thinking surgery is the only option as i am very active but now i am all but certain that i am taking the non-surgical route.

I have read many progress reports on this and several other sites but have not seen any info on how people got on/recovered in the first week or two.

In my first week, i have been going to work (financial accountant) and have had no problems/pains with getting around apart from the nuisance of NWB. Now in the past few days, i have been able to wiggle my toes, curl my toes to the point where i can contract the back leg muscle (whether AT is being contracted i don't really know because of the cast) and i can also hobble and handle partial weight on the foot with no pain. I can also flex my foot to the point where I can put some pressure on my heel within the cast and flexing downward to the point where my tendon is contracted.

Now i am wondering what all these means?? Does this means i am healing or is this all normal??

I continue to take my protein shake (once a day now rather than twice due to the nuisance of getting around), and take daily vitamin and Omega3/6/9 tablet as i would any other times. No idea if these aid or regress recovery.

I am pretty sure the consultant will leave me in the fibreglass cast and won't give me a boot which is what i will be asking for.

Giving the varying healing process, it seems there is a consensus on the sooner weight bearing is undertaken the faster one heals obviously listening to your body!?! I was discharged 3months ahead of schedule post ACL surgery as i took this same approach without actually knowing this during my ACL recovery stage and listened to my body adding exercises i felt i could handle within limit.

Any feedback on first week/two would be great. Thank You

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Start of week 5.

So after 4 weeks in the cast, which came off this morning, i am now starting week 5 in a boot. I have the "Airstep walker" and have been informed that i should be able to stop using the crutches after 24-48 hours once i get use to the boot.

The consultant said it's healed pretty well and got two heel lifts in the boot and instructed to take one off after two weeks. He tested my plantar and dorsiflex and plantar (pushing downwards) was very good and still had some strength in it. With the dorsiflex (pulling towards you) i could just about get it to nuetral position.

Since i didn't get to see the physio (only one present this morning was tied up) i was instructed to try and take the boot off as often as possible inc when sitting down at work/house and keep flexing the foot as much as possible and to ALWAYS put the boot on when getting up.

So far have been able to walk around the house without crutches....it's not easy and CERTAINLY NOT a pain free process. Hopefully the pain subsides as the tendon gets stretched.

• Posted

How are you now m15234? Ive just started my painful post surgery period this week (week 1!!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.